1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Strange actions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wcasey911, Jul 23, 2010.

1. wcasey911

wcasey911 In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    I have 2 ducks, a female pekin and a female blk swedish. I know they are both female because of the lack of a drake feather and they both lay in separate nests and their eggs are different colors. Now here lately I have caught the swedish on the pekins back as if she is trying to mate her. What's going on here? Is this normal? It is the strangest sight. Any ideas?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That is normal. The one duck is just making sure she other knows she is the dominant duck. Even my older female dog did that to the younger female dog. It is a temporary thing until it is settled. I have a flock of ducks and they one month older ones have also established dominance. Nobody dares to question them about that. They obey the rules set by the older ducks. Quite funny to watch, because they will round up the younger ones and lead them to particular areas in the yard.

3. wcasey911

wcasey911 In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: