Strange balace issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckitup, Nov 15, 2016.

1. duckitup

duckitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Indian Runner while standing straight up wobbles front to back and tucks tail between legs. Does NOT wobble when running, walking fast or foraging at all. 8 months old. We got her and 3 others 2.5 months ago to add to our flock. She wobbled the entire 4 weeks while in quarantine and still does to this day. I supplemented niacin in the water and brewers yeast in the food while in quarantine just incase and a few days of electrolytes and vitamins. Feet, eyes, nares all looked good. Good body weight, and she eats and drinks great. No abnormal poo noticed. 1-3 eggs per day from the 4 of them.

I was a little worried that she would have a hard time keeping up with the other ducks when released to free range but she doesn't. She is a little slower getting into and out of the pond and lags behind a little when they all start running full speed.

I'm guessing that she just is what she is but if anyone has any suggestions on how to help her be 100%? or knows what might have caused it, I'm curious.

Genetics? Early life niacin deficiency that can't be fixed now? Should I continue to supplement with niacin just in case?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would keep up with the niacin, maybe switch to brewer's yeast as it has other B vitamins, is she laying? I might put about 100 mg of calcium citrate in some treats for her and give that to her every other day for a week, see if that helps. Wondering if it could be oviduct issue. Some turmeric in the food would be good, I asked the vet she said that was fine to give to ducks - it has a mild anti-inflammatory effect.

3. duckitup

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks @Amiga (don't know why that never turns blue for me, argh) I will continue with the niacin and get some more brewers yeast. Do you have a good source for Brewers Yeast? I've heard that there is animal grade and people grade. I've been using people grade that I get from a grocery store. It's kind of expensive. I can't find it in animal grade around here. Is there a difference between the two?

I don't know if she is laying. When the 4 of them were quarantined I only got 3 eggs once. I got 4 eggs that looked like theirs one day since they have been released with the others but I can't be positive it was all the new ones. Calcium citrate (supplement from the pharmacy?). She isn't the kind of duck that comes up to me for treats. I can put treat bowls out for all of them (16). They are loving cooked pumpkin right now. I could easily slip some in that. Would it be safe to put it in a communal treat for everyone? Minding that I have 3 drakes in the mix.

Turmeric- Just sprinkle it on top or more than that?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't know where you might find the best source of brewer's yeast ...

If you can separate girls from boys for yreats a few times a week and give extra calcium then, try that.

Turmeric should be fine for all.

5. duckitup

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Not sure why my last post didn't come through. Thank you @amiga . I have been doing brewers yeast. I haven't done the calcium citrate yet. One of my newer ducks has been laying eggs with something that looks like stitches on the surface so I'm worried about adding calcium citrate. I don't want to give them too much and make it harder to lay.?? They have free choice calcium at all times.

However, we moved them to their winter house today and I have been able to watch them really closely tonight. The new duck with the balance issue.......When she walks it is like there is a shift or something in her tail. I don't know if that makes sense but it is like with one step her tail is straight and with the next it is crooked .Cocked to one side.Then pops back to straight with the next step. Can that be caused by niacin deficiency or is it more like a spine issue?? Or something genetic?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She could have oviduct problems, it could be B vitamin deficiency, nerve damage, some number of things.

So I would get a fecal test, give brewer's yeast, add calcium (maybe 100 mg per day), keep watching her, let her swim in lukewarm water whenever possible.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I turn over the Apple Cart.........What do you feed, should be asked first.......?

Without knowing they could be getting way to much of something??? Possibly nutritional??

Not Niacin issues at that age..........

Cheers!

8. duckitup

Jun 10, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The only duck formulated feed I can get here is a Purina 16%. They eat that regularly. They have also had a chicken feed from our local feed mill, 16 % also, but she hasn't had that. Over the summer for about a month I tried mixing their food myself using Wheat, barley, flax, oats, safflower and Thorvin Icelandic kelp but I quit after a month because I didn't feel I knew enough about feed and didn't want to screw them up. Though, the new duck with the issues has not had any of the home made feed. I do put a table spoon or so of thorvin on their regular purina feed around 3 days a week and add flax sometimes. I give them romaine and kale in their water bowl quite often. I have been giving them roasted ( in water) pumpkin lately. I give them 2 slabs (from a flat gallon baggie) of that a couple of times a week. They free range and can eat bugs, grass (no chemicals) and they swim in our pond so could be eating snails, fish, and what ever else they find. Prob about twice a week they get kitchen scraps. (I'm a vegetarian so it's pretty much cut offs of veggies, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini etc)

When we first got the 4 new ducks, they didn't want to eat the feed (purina) I gave them. I asked the person we got them from what their favorite treat was and what they normally ate. He told me they just fed kitchen scraps to the ducks and chickens. I don't know if they were ever supplemented niacin. I'm guessing not, so it may be too late at this point to supplement but I'm trying it any way because I don't think it could hurt. They eat the feed just fine now and enjoy the lettuce, pumpkin etc that I give them.

Is it possible I'm giving them too much of something? No one else has problems out of the flock of 16. She came here with this issue. I don't want to male it worse and would love for her to get better if at all possible.

9. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    From what I'm reading she's been wobbly the entire time you had her, right? Does her tail, when standing still, look straight, or is it curved (even slightly) to one side? Does her spine shift awkwardly when she walks? Where did you get her from? A hatchery, breeder, farm store? If it's someone you know, you could ask them if they cull out minor skeletal or muscular defects (most breeders do).

Just wondering because she sounds a lot like Gimpy used to, but to a much lesser extent (fortunately).

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What your feeding sounds fine....It almost sounds like a physical defect....if it can still get around and is eating fine? I do not think you have anything to worry about....?
    All your other Ducks are doing great....Just keep watching the Duck for signs of stress....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by