Strange beak movement?

quaasi

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Warrensburg, NY
I have a three month old easter egger who has been doing this odd thing where she opens her mouth by moving her upper beak? It's like a yawn but very uncanny looking, and I'm not sure if it's nothing or if she's hurt (I've felt around her face and jaw and nothing seems out of place but it still makes me anxious). She's also keeping her left eye closed, but we had a pretty big rain storm yesterday so we figured that something might have just gotten in it?

Anyway! I kept her inside overnight so I could observe her behavior and periodically check her eye, but has anyone else had a chicken do the weird beak thing? What is it?

three month old easter egger who has been doing this odd thing where she opens her mouth by moving her upper beak? It's like a yawn
She's also keeping her left eye closed
Is there any rasping/gurgling when she breaths?
Will she eat/drink on her own?
Is her crop empty by morning?
Is she pooping-what does that look like?
Another video of her standing by herself doing the breathing would be good - it's hard to tell the neck action with being held.
Can you open the eye to take a look at it - give it a rinse with saline to see if there may be debris in it.

Is there any rasping/gurgling when she breaths?
Will she eat/drink on her own?
Is her crop empty by morning?
Is she pooping-what does that look like?
Another video of her standing by herself doing the breathing would be good - it's hard to tell the neck action with being held.
Can you open the eye to take a look at it - give it a rinse with saline to see if there may be debris in it.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys!
She will and has been eating and drinking on her own, her crop was full this morning and has gradually emptied throughout the day. Her poop is nice and solid with the white cap and I haven't heard any sort of rasping or gurgling coming from her. There also isn't any sort of neck movement when she does the beak movement and she doesn't do it when she's active or not being held.
She's also keeping both eyes open now and if there was any sort of irritation, it's definitely gone now as there's no sign of debris.

34156934_233212457437137_6527368997267046400_o.jpg

Here she is this morning, contentedly spending time in the living room. :>

I have had so many chickens do it and they never died from it. I don't know what it is...but I am always assuming they just have a post nasal leak or something which prevents them from breathing through their mouth.

her crop was full this morning and has gradually emptied throughout the day.
There also isn't any sort of neck movement when she does the beak movement and she doesn't do it when she's active or not being held.

The crop was full this morning - was that after she had had something to eat/drink?

Can you clarify - she only does the beak action when being held?

The crop was full this morning - was that after she had had something to eat/drink?

Can you clarify - she only does the beak action when being held?

Yes, she'd been eating and drinking the food and water provided in her cage.
And yes, as far as I've seen she only does it when being held.

Very nice looking Blue Americauna! ...are my right on the breed?

Correct! And thank you for the compliment, I'm sure she appreciates it. :>

Back
Top Bottom