Strange beak????

rhea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Our 12 week old chick's beak is not quite right. The upper is shorter than the lower. She is able to eat and drink without problems. Any idea as to what the problem is? Rhea:/

I sent a PM to someone who might help you... She had a "scoop" beaked hen too and might give you some pointers .... Wishing well ....... and........ sending good ((( Vibes )))

P.S edited because the "crossing my fingers" smiley is not working for me today

Last edited:
I was given a chick who had a super long curved upper beak. I wasn't sure if I could try trimming it, and she ended up snapping it off almost at the root! It grew back. Just make sure the feed bowl is full of crumbles so she can stick her whole beak in. Picking up individual bugs will be hard for now, (and feed pellets) but she'll be fine on crumbles till it grows in. I also have one with cross beak....same deal, keep the food bowl full and she's fine.

Hi, mine came as a 16 week old from a hatchery, she was debeaked by them to prevent pecking in production birds. I was horrified. But she was sweet and I promised I'd never tell her that she was different. I just made sure that the water and feed were deep enough for her. She was a great layer, never started an argument, and all the other hens respected her (if there's such a thing) And her as well as all my chickens got dusted for bugs now and then. It took her a while to learn how to peck grass, but she did. When we gave them treats, we would hold them in cupped hands, or put them on soft ground so she could get them.

008.jpg

Thanks for all the help. She is one of ours, hatched by a year old buff. Half Pint, she was on the small size when she hatched, is a sweet girl:)
smile.png
. We will keep the feeder and water full.

Back
Top Bottom