1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

'Strange Bedfellows' Male Guiena in love with Rooster

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by anna mossette, Nov 1, 2013.

1. anna mossette

anna mossette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    I have a mixed flock of Chickens, Bantams, Ducks, and Guineas. They all co-exist in relative harmony.

But, recently my male Guinea (Ace) has become enamored with my Jersey Giant Rooster (Oscar). Ace has a Guinea Hen girlfriend (Jean) and recently she hatched out a small brood (which I was able to find and put in a brooder inside, they would not have survived otherwise). While she was sitting on her nest she would come to eat, drink and hangout everyday.

During this period when Jean would be gone for longer and longer periods Ace developed a strange relationship with Oscar. Ace is now never far from Oscar's side, he runs circles around Oscar tries to run under him gets snippy at times when the Hen's get close to Oscar and just the other day I saw Ace crouch down and allow Oscar to mount him. [​IMG]

Now, I honestly would not find this odd if it was two of the same sex, same species, but I am scratching my head a little at this duo.

I thought I would just inquire if anyone else has experienced a similar situation and what if any problems arose?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I had a full size Silky mix rooster who'd never seen a turkey before. When I bought in the rooster as an adult from another place, he was besotted with the male turkey. Whenever the male turkey spread his tail to display to the hen, the silky mix would barrel into his butt from behind, in what seemed like a furious attack but was actually an attempt to mount him, prevented by the tail feathers. The turkey tom would lower his tail fan and scoot away in terror. After a few days of this the turkey tom spend most of his day hiding from the rooster, not displaying to the female. Gradually the rooster realized he was tackling something that wasn't going to mate with him, and things peacefully resolved, no incidents to speak of. Sounds like if your guinea hen would mate with the rooster, instead of the male, you might get some hybrids. Who knows. Anyway, best wishes.

3. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    chooks4life
    Thank You for your insight. I suppose if it's not 'ruffling' any feathers I don't really have anything to worry about [​IMG]. I guess I just worry about Jean the girl guinea feeling neglected, but Ace does hang out with her some during the day. We'll see I suppose.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yeah, please let us know how it goes. It is strange that Ace is letting Oscar mount him, and strange that Oscar's even interested in doing that, but it's better than fighting, that's for sure.

Best wishes.

5. anna mossette

Feb 14, 2013
    North Alabama
    I guess I'm pretty lucky that everyone gets along (Regular sized Chickens, Bantams, Ducks and Guineas). As a matter of fact the Guineas (Ace and Jean) wound up spending the night in the Coop with everyone else last night instead of roosting in their tree. Which actually made me pretty happy since it's getting colder here and nearly all the leaves have now dropped from the majority of the trees here on our homestead.
    As far as Oscar mounting Ace I wonder if he figured since Ace was offering he'd accept, LOL
    [​IMG]

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    It's strange indeed, but a good thing they're getting along, although the rooster now viewing guineas as potential mates could lead to him also treating some guineas like fellow roosters in future. Bit too early to say, anyway. I think it's possible your male guinea is not actually a male; are you sure he's male, i.e. has he reproduced? He may be like some hens who have a rooster's appearance and behavior but lack the fertility of either gender. Best wishes. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by