Strange behavior, aka has my red sex link gone broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama24, Jun 4, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I noticed for the last couple of weeks she seems to like playing with feathers in the corner next to her flowerpot (despite all the perfectly good nesting areas I provided, this is where 2 of my hens have always laid. [​IMG]) Just picking them up and tossing them around. No feather pulling that I've noticed. She has been laying some soft shelled eggs. They have a great diet, and I have oyster shells available all the time. My dh started throwing them a handful of cracked corn mixed with oyster shells every day after the first one. Didn't work. I figured it was the heat. It's been up to 98* already! We had highs in the upper 90's every day for about a week. It's cooled off the slightly the last few days, highs in the upper 80's (It FEELS a LOT cooler, if you can believe it! [​IMG] I'm a Northern transplant to the South if you can't tell. [​IMG] ) She hasn't laid an egg in several days. She's been sleeping in her flowerpot. She spent most of the day outside yesterday, but only spent half the day outside today. In the afternoon she went onto her flowerpot and hasn't budged since. I went in to check on her about an hour ago, and she made this horrible noise at me twice. It wasn't a hiss, it was more like a screech, and it reminded me of a hawk! I was worried about her, thought maybe she was eggbound or something from the soft shelled eggs. I went over to pick her up, and she puffed up really big. Didn't make a sound or try to peck me, though. I picker up off the nest, felt her behind. It's perfectly clean and fluffy, couldn't feel an egg in her at all. She seems perfectly healthy other than the odd behavior. After I set her down, she started gathering feathers into a little pile next to her flowerpot again! WTH? What's up with her? She also has spent the last 2 or 3 nights sleeping in her flowerpot. Is this how a super sweet hen acts when she's broody? She's a sex link, I didn't think they went broody! She is 2 years old, so I guess if this is her first time, it is pretty much never. [​IMG]

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    The screeching and puffing up sure sound broody, but usually they'll try to find an egg to sit on. Mine usually just takes over a nest with some eggs in it; she's never done anything with feathers to make a nest. She just scrunches around in the pine shavings and plants herself! I guess you'll have to wait and see if she stays there through the day. Does she usually roost with the other chickens?

3. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Yes, she usually cuddles up as close as possible to my roo. She is totally in love with him! LOL. There are no eggs in the nest. I have another hen who lays in there first thing in the morning, but we usually collect it b/c it's so early. There is a golf ball, though. So if she is broody, poor thing is trying to hatch a golf ball! [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I just went out there to steal the golf ball. She was back in the flower pot! lol. I think she must be broody. If only we had unlimited room, I could get her some hatching eggs! I stuck her up on the roost next to her boyfriend and stole the golf ball. We'll see how she is tomorrow.

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Sounds broody. Mine will try to hatch shavings because I take all the eggs.

6. Melissa2173

Melissa2173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Springfield, Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Yes, on the nest mine will pick up pieces of hay and "arrange" them over her back and around her neck. Like she is trying to surround herself with the bedding. Mine do this when broody, but also just to "pass the time" while waiting to lay an egg. [​IMG]

8. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    She was back to sitting in the pot again this morning! Dh had to take her off and steal the 2 eggs she was sitting on! Hers was more hard than it has been, but had a soft spot on one end. [​IMG] If she lays any nice hard ones, I may let her hatch them. But I'm NOT letting her hatch the other hen who lays there's eggs. She's MEAN, and I don't want her babies! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by