Strange behavior - breeding or something more?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m.kitchengirl, Dec 6, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    So today I noticed one of my girl ducks doing this weird head shake thing a few different times.
    She seems ok otherwise, acting like her normal self - except she has been staying very close to the drake and does rocks her head to the right a few times, and goes back to normal.
    She did it a few times this morning, and again at bedtime. I watched her on & off throughout the day, and she was eating, foraging, swimming, etc just as much as usual.
    Am I being overly paranoid, or could this be something wrong? I double checked the niacin level in her food, and it SHOULD be fine. They haven't had any feed changes or anything... I am hoping someone will tell me that is just a "come hither" look she is giving him. (It seems to be when they are discussing where to wander to next.)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Shadowing a drake, head bobbing, and 'chuckling' are signs that a hen is sayng, "This is my guy. The rest of you stay away."

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Is this behavior in addition to the head bobbing (up and down) they do for courting? The hens usually initiate it when they are feeling like a nice short little dunk in the water by their favorite drake.

4. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Phew. As long as she is not sick.
    I am such an overly paranoid Mommy. Last month I sent a picture of my drake to my duck farmer friend entitled, "He has ANGEL WING!!! AHHHHHH!". He sent back an email that said, "Aw sweetie, he's just MOLTING," and then a long list of reasons I shouldn't worry so much.
    I counted my sons' fingers & toes about 5 times a day for their first year of life, just to make sure they were all still there.

She does this behavior to me, haven't seen her do it to the other gal. I guess I need to let her know that I am not after her man. (Though he is quite handsome.)

Thanks sourland. I will be able to sleep tonight after all.
    I searched & searched in the search section before I posted. I feel like you need to know the EXACT title of a thread to get anywhere in the "search" section sometimes.

5. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Is this behavior in addition to the head bobbing (up and down) they do for courting?

I'm not sure if you're asking me or Sourland here.
    In my duck's case it seems to be anytime I go out there & hang out. She gets right up behind him. Its not an up & down head bob, but side to side. I see them doing the OTHER head bob by the pool in the mornings.
    He has also been practicing surfing for a couple of weeks. His technique is improving, but I sure wouldn't want to be a duck. I bet they would laugh at human methods though, so I can't judge.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by