Strange behavior = eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wxdude99, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    My chickens are a week shy of being 5 months old. I haven't had any eggs yet, but my chickens are acting kind of strange. They squawk a lot more when I let them out in the morning, and maybe I'm imagining things, but it looks like their vent area is pulsating. Am I just seeing things? Or is it a sign they are about to start laying eggs? Thanks.

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Could be. They sing more when they are thinking about laying. Are their combs redding up? That is another sign.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And are any 'squatting' for you? tap-dancing?

I found mine very loud before the big event, at 16 weeks 3 days...and now at 9 months they're even LOUDER and vain about their eggs...[​IMG]

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    [​IMG]

Louder and vain?

LOL...that's funny

5. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My hen doesn't sing, she is perfectly quiet when she lays her eggs.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some of my birds sing and others don't. When the combs and wattles turn bright red and they begin to squat is a good sign they about to start laying. Most of my girls started laying around 20-24 weeks.

7. wxdude99

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I'll have to keep an eye on their combs. I have a golden campine that's incredibly loud. I don't have any roosters because of the noise, but she's almost as loud as a rooster when she doesn't get her way.

8. wxdude99

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    What do you mean by squatting? I noticed a couple of them squat down when I reach for them now. They used to run away. Is that what you're talking about? Thanks.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Mine sings.... and her husband crows. [​IMG]

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You can also check their pubic bones.... When the pubic bones start getting more distance between them, the eggs will be coming soon !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by