Strange behavior from 1 of our 3 hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pmhvista, Dec 29, 2016.

1. pmhvista

pmhvista New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    One of our hens (they are all about 9 months old) is acting strangely. She is wanting to hunker down in the coop, even while the other two are free ranging the yard. She is obsessing over her laid eggs and warming them as if they were fertilized. We have no roosters. She gets very defensive and puffs her feathers when I try to move her. I'm trying to break her out of it by removing the eggs, picking her up and out of the coop to get her out and about. Any advice or explanation of what might be causing this behavior?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It sounds as if she may be going broody.

3. kcrandall

kcrandall Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    North Central Texas

She's broody. Try putting her in a small cage with food and water for 2 or 3 days. That usually breaks the broody behavior. Do not put any thing in the cage that she can use as nest material. I had a Marans hen that I could not break - she sat on an empty make shift nest for almost 30 days no matter how many times I took her off. Now that is a dedicated hen.

However, if you want more chickens find a breeder nearby that sells hatching eggs and hatch some baby chickens.

Good Luck with your broody,
    Keith

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

To break her Brooding, place her in a wire crate and place it on bricks with Chicken wire on the bottom....The belly of a Broody needs to cool in order to break that cycle......Usually takes a few days if caught early but can take longer if she was left to brood for a week or so?.......Try that....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by