Strange behavior - have you seen this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wintersun, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Wintersun

Wintersun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    Morning,

While I was visiting my chickens this morning, a dove flew overhead and caused them to scatter - and FREEZE! The did not move for at least a minute plus and only moved once I stood up. One hen near me, who never lets me touch her, was low cooing and let me pet her for the whole time. I get the scattering thinking there was a predator but the freezing was a new experience for me. Do you think they were waiting for me to move first? Maybe seeing me as the head chicken?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They freeze when they think they are too far from shelter in the hopes the flying predator will not see them. Ever notice how feral fowl hens blend in with the leaves?

3. Wintersun

Wintersun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    NH
    They were in the run when they did this. Of course, they probably don't know that they have full fencing around them! I was amazed they held the freeze so long.

4. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine chase birds and rabbits and chipmunks....I call my girls zombie chikens any thing moving is considered food if they can catch and kill it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by