Strange behavior, what might be going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PeachygirlGA, Sep 19, 2012.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    One of my adult BO hens went missing yesterday. We let them out when we get home to have a few hours of free ranging, and just keep our eyes on them. Well, I went out to give them a treat and one was missing. I called and nothing. I had my son go walk around looking for her and he couldn't find her. I assumed the worst, that something had gotten her. After supper I decided to go look for her myself and just behind our house in the woods, there she was. She was just laying there, looked like nesting. I started walking through the brush to get her and she started squawking. The rooster came running and chased her back with the group and she flew out of the woods and joined the group. Any idea why she did this? I've never had one do that before. I'm wondering if it was some kind of broody behavior, but there was no egg and I'm pretty sure this chicken isn't even laying. Any ideas?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    do you thing something chased her like neighbors dog? she probably got stressed out.

3. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    No dog that I know of. She didn't look stressed, just laying down by herself. I knew the others didn't look stressed, so it confused me why she wasn't with the others.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Could be trying a new nest, or the first stage of going into broody mode, or just because. Watch and observe.

5. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Didn't notice any strange behavior yesterday but I'll keep watching! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by