Strange behavior with my Black Star today-

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k1d2u3t4, Mar 6, 2015.

1. k1d2u3t4

k1d2u3t4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Hello all. I have noticed some unusual behavior with my Black Star hen today. She is a year old this month. We noticed this morning when we let them out to free-range, she was still roosting in the coop. She came down and ate and as always, joined the clan and explored the yard. I took kitchen scraps out at noon and all came running except her. She lagged behind until half the scraps were ate, and then she joined the group. We also noticed that she periodically sat down in the yard and would fall asleep. We pick her up and instead of looking at ways to escape, she falls asleep in our arms. Cute, but we are worried. We checked for bugs on her skin, and checked her vent. To our inexpert eyes, all looks fine. She is top of the pecking order and I don't expect any issues with others bullying her. Any thoughts?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome! Is her comb looking pale? Does she feel 'skinny'? If all else is well, I would just keep an eye on her to see if anything develops. As in humans, chickens can sometimes have an 'off' day. Keep us posted and let us know what shakes out,

3. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    her comb looks fine and she looks "puffy" today. Her behavior is really strange. I'll make sure she makes it to the coop tonight for bed and hope for a better day tomorrow.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

By puffy do you mean all fluffed up like she is cold? Do you know what her poop looks like?

6. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    When I cleaned the poop board at noon today, I noticed a small amount of egg yolk on the board. I didn't clean the poop board the day before due to laziness on my part and the cold weather. Do you think she may be egg bound?

7. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    She shouldn't be cold today. It is almost 60 degrees and this is a heat wave from the 12 to 36 degree temperature we had yesterday. Her feathers are fluffed, but she feels light. Not sure what her poop looks like today, but her vent looks fine.

8. enola

Coccidiosis causes chickens to lose weight and appear to be all fluffed up like they are cold. So will a bad case of worms. Do you know if she is eating? Can you check her crop this evening to see if it is full?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. k1d2u3t4

Jul 13, 2014
    OK- I just went to check on her and she is standing up under a bush. She doesn't move, she just cracks her eyes and looks at me and then closes her eyes again. No movement. I'm not sure how to check her crop, but I messaged above the breast, and then the same with my other chickens and it does seem a little thicker than my other hens. They are different breads, but all about the same size. Any advise?

10. enola

Have you wormed your chickens lately?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by