strange behavior

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by chicknmania, Oct 18, 2019.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, sorry, for all these questions. I just saw one of our peahens approach our peacock this morning and peck him hard several times on his beak..about 15 times on each side, and a couple of times on the tip. It didn't appear that she took anything from him. I thought it was odd and have never seen this behavior before. He's been acting a little quiet and puffed up lately, probably because of the cold, and refused treats two days ago, which is unusual, but it was bitter cold that day, and he detests the cold. He's still eating well otherwise, but I've also noticed him shaking his head a few times. I haven't noticed any discharge or unusual odors. He was lame recently and we treated the lameness successfully with Prednisone, and he hasn't had any prednsone for a week. He was also recently dewormed. It's a stretch, but I just wondered if maybe she sensed he wasn't feeling right, and that's why she did that weird pecking thing. Or is beak pecking normal behavior and what does it mean?

dawg53 and slordaz like this.
  2. old biddy

old biddy Songster

Sep 30, 2010
    Lamont, Florida
    Could she have been pecking at mites or fleas or lice? I have seen my birds do that with each other.

dawg53 and slordaz like this.
  3. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Tagging people that could better answer this for you as I don't have peafowl
    @azygous
    @dawg53

chicknmania likes this.
  4. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thank you, that's possible, and that might account for why he is scratching his face once in a while as well as head shaking.

blackandtan and slordaz like this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    I've never owned peafowl. However getting pecked hard around the beak area may have caused underlying bruising that might be causing pain, thus the head shaking. If that's what it is, it should heal in a few days and head shaking should stop.

slordaz likes this.
  6. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    That's good information, sorry thought you had them, must be lack of coffee here lol, thanks for being a good sport and will try to remember you don't have peafowl lol but can't guarantee it

dawg53 likes this.
  7. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've never had pea fowl, but perhaps they like to clean each other's beaks like hens do. I have a ten-year old SLW hen and she is a compulsive face cleaner. If she decides someone needs their beak cleaned she corners them into being perfectly still until she gets through working on them.

sorce, Sequel, 2102Simm and 1 other person like this.
  8. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    Hmmm thats one I hadn't heard of before, at least learning new ways my chickens can make me think I've lost my marbles.

Sequel and azygous like this.
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    No apologies necessary, everything is fine. Yeah, I've only owned chickens.
    I've had hens high up on the pecking order peck lower ranked hens hard and seen the lower ranked hen run away shaking her head. I had one Black Star get pecked just above the upper left eye and the area swelled up badly. It knotted up like a cyst and was squishy. I used a syringe with needle to go up under the left eyelid to puncture the marble size knot. Clear liquid with very little blood gushed out of the eye after it was punctured. One day caged with a little neosporin in the eye and she was released the next day.
    @chicknmania sorry for hogging your thread. :(

Sequel and azygous like this.
  10. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No hes been head shaking and scratching for a few days.not a lot so forgot to mention it.

Sequel and slordaz like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: