Strange behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aropp87, Mar 8, 2014.

1. aropp87

aropp87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    My girls are about two weeks old. They've been very friendly and very social with me. Yesterday they were all huddled away from the heat lamp so I figured they were getting too warm so I moved the lamp up, but now they're still acting skittish, huddled tightly together some burrowing under the others and getting as far from me as possible. I didn't hurt or scare them that I know of. Any thoughts? All 9 of them were fine being spread out throughout the brooder but now the practically move as a unit.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm not sure, but I think their fear of predator instinct is kicking into overdrive. Is there a dog or cat in the house? Loud children? Try giving them a stuffed animal to cuddle with... nothing big enough that it would fall on them and smother them. Perhaps other readers have something to offer.

3. aropp87

Feb 27, 2014
    I have a dog-but she's super lazy and doesn't go near the brooder or hardly barks. My toddler IS loud, but generally I help her use quiet voices around "her babies". Maybe I'll just close the door so things keep quiet

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might want to lower the heat back down too.

5. aropp87

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm thinking my toddler was to blame, she was in the room and they all huddled like crazy. She's been banned from looking at them for now, when I lowered the heat lamp they all moved away so I think the tot was the problem, thank you all!

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    One of our brilliant posters showed an idea that I immediately went out and copied. She bought several old feather dusters, tied them together, then tied them into the corner of the brooder. The chicks act just like that feather duster is "Mom". Might give them some security...

7. aropp87

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh that is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'd like to take credit for it but I'm afraid I can't. I think it was posted by darkangel in "Show us your Inventions". Let us know if it worked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by