Strange behavioral reaction..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChloeCorrigan, Sep 16, 2012.

1. ChloeCorrigan

ChloeCorrigan New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Our Jersey Giant is about 4 months old. She grew up with 2 other hens--all we were in the process of adding to our existing flock. In the midst of them being adapted to our flock, the 2 hens died, quite freakishly and unexplained. So our giant began behaving extremely nice to us, as if she accepts us as her flock instead of the other chickens. Before she was not so keen on being picked up, but now she begs for attention. I don't see her get picked on often, though she very may; I just know her behavior is very bizarre. She has a few symptoms of depression(thin/sleepy), but perks up and eats around us. I believe the resolution would be to get her some friends so that she does not need to depend on us being around her 24/7 to be cheery.

I'm hoping she would not reject new chickens. But I figure our chances are good if we just stay with the same breed.

If anyone has had similar experiences, please share.

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Are there no other chickens with her? Chickens are social animals and need flock mates.

3. ChloeCorrigan

ChloeCorrigan New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Chickens, turkeys and ducks all around her. I just think she is not connecting with any of them after the passing of the hens she grew up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by