Strange behaviour in Buff orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Hi, I noted that when my buff orpington ? hen or roo.( not sure yet) went to roost tonight he/she was shaking her head, would close one eye and I noted her comb would go pale. It would return to normal when when she stopped. She looked like something was really annoying her in her head. Almost a "paranoid look" on her face. She has been acting normal. Eating, drinking, running around, normal... I picked her/him up and he/she was less than impressed. She acted normal. Eyes clear, comb bright. After she went back up to roost she/ he seemed normal again. I have read some that lice or parasites can cause irritation in the birds. I am new at this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have Buff Orpingtons too, and have never seen this.

[​IMG]

3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I have been searching on gape worms too and I have noted my birds occasionally do a mild sort of open mouth and stretch. I will check them in the morning. See if I can see anything. They do love to forage for bugs and worms. I also lost 2 birds recently of unknown cause. They just got weak and lost weight and died.

4. chickatee

chickatee Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Co. Wexford , Ireland
    i notice that my buff orpington does this aswell so id say its nothing to worry about. as for them streaching their neck and openin their mouth i see my hens do that aswell.[​IMG]

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Checked her this morning. Her comb is normal color but I noticed she is still doing a little head shaking. She is also closing that one eye a bit too. I tried to look down her throat.. not an easy task... Did not see anything. but I am guessing I might not always. Chickens are a challenge!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by