Strange Behaviour?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krys109uk, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

A pullet of mine has been in lay for a few weeks. For the last three or four days she has been, behaving as if she is laying an egg. She sits in her favourite nest goes through the motions of being about to lay an egg for half to one hour then she gets up & goes on about her day. But there is no egg. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old is she? What breed? Has she ever laid? Anything new in her environment? What does she eat?

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

She is only a pullet, but had been laying in a normal manner for a few weeks. She is a Marans but I have line bred my birds for a few years. Under normal circs, I probably wouldn't have noticed but I am keeping track of which hen lays which egg, the frequency, egg colour etc.etc.
    Nothing new in her environment.She eats layer pellets with occasional mashed hard boiled eggs or cat food.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    idk. Never had a Marans and know nothing about line breeding. But this will bump you.

If this could have something to do with line breeding, maybe you could post over there?

5. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    I am going to reply to this, only because I am having a similar problem. I have a nice healthy EE, started laying Nov 10th of last year. Dec she laid 23 eggs, Jan 23 eggs, Feb 19 eggs, March 16 eggs and this month so far only 3 eggs. Last one was six days ago. I see her in the nesting box on occasion, but when she gets out.. no egg.

She isn't broody (just gets in the box, stays for a few minutes and hops out and I have never noticed this more than once a day), not obviously molting, eating and drinking fine, active etc. Introduced a new hen to the flock mid-February. No changes in feed.
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by