strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 24279102, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 24279102

24279102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    At the end of March I got RIR and a Black Sex-Link. The RIR laid almost right away but not the other one. After about a month and a half she gave us two little eggs and one VERY little egg and then quite. About a month later she was quite miserable for a couple of days with a messy bum and a couple of no-shell eggs and then quit again. Earlier this month she gave us another small egg and I thought we were on our way but....no ! Every once in a while she will get on the nest and then come out singing the egg song but there is either nothing or she has been on one of the others eggs. It's very frustrating to me! The last couple of days she has been "nesting" on the cushion of my lawnchair and her friend is on the other one - the only thing is that her friend laid her egg there yesterday! They are all very hot (Alabama). I wonder if her comb is getting paler - but I may be just paranoid about that. They get all the "right stuff" to eat - like all the spoiled chickens that I read about on here. I wonder if she is going to lay at all or is she going to be just "eye candy"!!! Comments would be appreciated.

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    How old is your hen supposed to be? Is she a new layer or one who is at the slowing down stage? I'm not sure which one you are talking about, is it the RIR or the Black Sex Link?
    Heat is a factor in laying as is any sort of change. Do you know who you got her from? Would they have told you about any pre-existing laying problems? Have you checked them both for mites/lice?
    CJ

3. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    It's the Black Sex-Link and yes all four of the girls have been powdered and they get ACV in their water and DE in their food . They were both supposed to be around 5 months when I got them and soon to start laying. They have been very healthy and active. I know that the heat will slow down the egg laying but it would've been okay if she had really started in the first place! When I bought them he said they should be ready to lay at any time and that some already were - case in point the RIR. But all the hens/roosters and other animals that he sells all appear to be very healthy and active and he has a good reputation in town.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  4. simpsoncj

Dec 27, 2009
    Are you sure she isn't laying at all? If you have four chickens is it possible any of the eggs you are finding are hers? If you are quite certain she isn't laying, and by your calculations it looks like she has only laid four eggs since June, then you may have a chicken with a problem in her egg laying ability. I would watch her comb, maybe even take some pics of it now and then compare to the next few days. If she is "laying" in the lounge chair most of the day she may be brooding and that would also result in her not laying and also in her comb going pale. Chickens don't usually just lay around all day. They usually spend time scratching with some resting in between. Do you have nesting boxes? If not, you might want to make some and see if you can get them to start laying in them so you won't have to worry if you can find their eggs.
    CJ

5. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    Only three are laying as they all have different markings on their eggs and I know which one belongs to what hen. Yes, we have nesting boxes and they have been using them up until yesterday (the other two still are). She doesn't stay there all day - just in the mornings - she has gone off with the others now. The heat index here today is 110 and that probably has something to do with it. But why would she be broody if she has never really got with the program???

6. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    egg bound?

7. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    Not sick! Eating and drinking normally - just not making any eggs for me !!

8. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Are you sure she is not laying somewhere else. My BSLs stopped laying in the nests and started their own little spot. I found a clutch of 13 eggs. Blocked it off today looked like Fort Knox. Somehow those 3 squeezed their way in and laid. Houdini could not have gotten through there.

9. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    She rarely leaves the others as she is not very adventurous. She just can't seem to get it together. She gets our hopes up and then - nothing !

10. simpsoncj

Dec 27, 2009
    I'm not sure if she couldn't still be broody even though her egg laying isn't what it should be. They also may not stay on the 'nest' all the time, especially at first. If she seems to be laying for any length of time again try to pick her up and see if she ruffles her feathers or squawks at you. I guess only time will tell if she isn't going to be a good layer.
    I will be curious though! [​IMG]
    CJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by