Strange Behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6ChicksandaDog, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 6ChicksandaDog

6ChicksandaDog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Waterbury
    Hi there I'm new to having chickens so I really need some help. Today my BA was acting kind of strange it looks healthy and is acting normal other than doing this very strange behavior. I have a picture so that way instead of explaining it you folks will have a little bit of a better understanding. Spiked feather on the head going down the back of neck laying down with wings all spread. Could she be hot? she hasn't done this before and none of the other girls are doing that they are not panting either. Please help!

[​IMG]

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    She's sunbathing- spreading out and ruffling the feathers on her head so the sun can get directly down on her skin. It's totally normal. [​IMG] ETA: Sometimes I look out and panic because it looks like something has stepped on some of mine, but then I realize they're just soaking up the sun!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. 6ChicksandaDog

Jun 7, 2011
    Waterbury
    Oh Ok Phew!! thats good news [​IMG]. Made me panic. Thank you so much for helping me out.[​IMG]

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    It's like when I found one of mine taking a dust bath the first time.....I thought she was having a seizure! [​IMG]

5. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Yes, I second the sunbathe vote. Mine do that too, and it almost gives me a heart attack every time. It looks like something has killed them!

6. 6ChicksandaDog

Jun 7, 2011
    Waterbury
    Quote:Exactly! and I've never seen this before.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee, sunbathing sure does look weird to us non-chickens! Mine are even worse, they flop over on their sides and extend one wing out, along with their legs. They look like they've had a stroke and died on my lawn.

Silly critters, giving their human heart palpitations.

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I love to see them do that...it's so funny!!! [​IMG]

9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:HaHa! Mine do that too. Between that and seeing dust bathing for the first time I thought they were done for.

10. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] Mine did that one day last week. My hubby called me at work and said my dang chickens almost gave him heart failure. They were laying in the gravel path where the sun was shining. We had put out contained rat poison (chickens can't get into if they try) the night before and he was afraid they had gotten into somehow. He walked over to them, expecting the worst, they all got up and starting grumbling at him for disturbing their nap. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by