strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louise evans, Oct 22, 2014.

1. louise evans

louise evans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    hello , one of my chicks have been acting very strange and we are getting a bit worried she is getting fatter , being very lonely and quiet, not eating properly ,always on her own ,and also staying in the same place till bed time , not moving around very much, she has been like it for a while but she has just started to get worse , please any advice or help would be appreciated ....x

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Has she been wormed recently? Any diarrhea or puffing up that might look like coccidiosis? Treating with Corid for coccidiosis for 5-7 days may help if it's cocci, and it certainly won't hurt. If she is older (2-3 years,) internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis may be a problem. Sometimes those hens can suffer from ascites which would appear like a spongy belly or one containing fluid.

1 person likes this.
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You said "chick". So I'm guessing she's really young.. Coccidiosis would be the most common to treat for, like Eggcessive said. Corid is good and I think you can get it at Tractor Supply. When you mix it in water, be sure to take a teaspoon and dribble the mix on the side of her beak every few hours so she gets the medicine.

I don't know why she would be getting fat. Make sure she is pooping.

1 person likes this.
  4. louise evans

louise evans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    thankyou for the help the chicken recovered well and I have just been on here again as there is another one acting the same and when you pick her up she just stays still and she just lays around all day her poop is very yellow and runny any ideas p.s she is not very old .....x

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she's over 4 months old, I'd say worms. Commonly people treat with Safeguard for Goats, or Valbazen. If under 4 months, I guess I'd treat for Cocci with Corid or Sulfadimethoxine. Those are most common causes. Make sure she stays hydrated.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by