Strange behavour?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick-e-chick, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Noticed one of the chicks (16 wks) was sitting at every opprtunity, even when eating, and also walking very low to the ground, kind of squatting. She can walk and run about so it doesn't seem to be a physical problem and she doesn't appear to be in pain. Any ideas?

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    is it possible shes getting ready to lay and egg, but is egg bound??

Thats the only Thing I can think of....Im sure someone smarter will be along to give thier opinion.....[​IMG]

3. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You've been registered on this board for several months now, and you still think chickens are the ones behaving strangely?!

4. Lammie

Lammie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I had a heavy breed hen prolapse and she looked just like you describe. I would bet that your hen never lays an egg. Let me know. I am interested.

The poster that said she might be bound sounds like a good bet. I would have to read up to see what one does about that.

5. Lammie

Jun 25, 2008
    Here we go. According to my chicken bible, Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens, it does indeed sound like binding. It occurs when a too large egg gets stuck in the vent. This can happen to pullets. You are supposed to dislodge the egg.

You are supposed to put some KY jelly on your fingers of one hand, insert your finger into the vent and use the other hand to push on the abdomen and work the egg toward the vent.

If you can see the egg but you can't get it out, you are supposed to break the egg and remove it carefully, being careful not to damage the tissue with bits of sharp egg shell. Then you rinse away the remaining bits with hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle.

If any tissue protrudes, you are supposed to treat that with Prep H and isolate her for a while until she heals. Otherwise, other chickens will pick at her.

So sayeth Storey's

6. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    [​IMG] Good luck on that one!!! Try giving her a warm bath first, Ive heard some people say it will relax her and help her pass it. [​IMG]

But if you have to do the other method....you can do it!!!!!![​IMG]

7. Lammie

Jun 25, 2008
    I personally do not think I could do it. I had a grown hen prolapse once and that was enough. We euthanized her, as she was pretty far injured when I found her. It was the kindest thing to do.

8. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I have a 10 week old Wyandotte that is always laying down or sitting. She has done that since she was a few weeks old. She is healthy and is usually one of the first ones out of the coop and will scratch and run around, but once things calm down she is the first one to sit down (whether on a roost or not) and just stay there. I know she couldn't be egg-bound at 4 weeks or even 10. Can't there just be lazy chickens?

9. Lammie

Jun 25, 2008
    It is the walking low to the ground that makes think she's bound.

I suppose there can be lazy chickens. Once you see a prolapsed hen, you won't forget what it looks like.

Is she walking like she's got her legs way apart? Like she's bow legged or carrying a basketball between her legs? Slowly?

10. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Oh dear, this has filled me with horror :eek:. But she was back to 'normal' later that day and been fine since. I think she maybe was feeling a little lazy that day!!

I think they are a bit young to lay just yet, their wattles and combs are not fully developed yet although they are red.

Thanks for the replies and I'll keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by