Strange Bobwhite

Discussion in 'Quail' started by moeell1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Well I have this one bobwhite almost 6 weeks old who hasn't developed right, he doesn't even have many feathers, actually hardly none at all and he's just small really small! Besides looking weird he eats and everything! Only problem is I'm afraid to turn off his lights without feathers at night! I don't know what to do with him once I move them too there outside pen? I told my hubby to cull him but he won't says he is his friend! I don't think he'll make it outside! I would keep him indoors but I think he would miss his siblings?!

2. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

cull it

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Runt

Do A Byc Search For Runting/stunting Syndrome There Was A Good Posting A Yr Od So Ago By Monarc23 On The Subject.

4. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Don't cull a live, eating animal. As long as he's not suffering there is no reason to do so. Just keep him like a parakeet inside in a bird cage. The little guy can't help the way he is, you hatched him and took on the responsibility to take whatever came out of those eggs, so now you have to take care of him. I know it's difficult to take on a special needs bird, but he's ok as long as he's eating, pooping, walking and breathing alright.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quail's hollar Farm :

Don't cull a live, eating animal. As long as he's not suffering there is no reason to do so. Just keep him like a parakeet inside in a bird cage. The little guy can't help the way he is, you hatched him and took on the responsibility to take whatever came out of those eggs, so now you have to take care of him. I know it's difficult to take on a special needs bird, but he's ok as long as he's eating, pooping, walking and breathing alright.

I manage my flock the way I think best for MY flock sometimes this involves culling birds a lot of time they cull themselves when they are born the way you describe , if they suffer while this happens that's the part that bothers me not the culling part​

6. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I agree, but if the bird is alive and eating and can be kept alive without pain or suffering, where do we have the right to say if it is to survive or not.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quail's hollar Farm :

I agree, but if the bird is alive and eating and can be kept alive without pain or suffering, where do we have the right to say if it is to survive or not.

BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT, HATCHED IT, HAVE TO FEED AND CARE FOR IT AND ALL THE REST OF MY FLOCK AS WELL AND MANAGE AS BEST I SEE FIT--- THATS WHERE I HAVE THE RIGHT AND RESPONSIBILITY TO DECIDE CULL OR NOT CULL. DONT GET ME WRONG.... I AM NOT SAYING I WOULD OR WOULDNT CULL.... OFTEN TIMES JUST AS WITH RUNTS IN DOGS IF THEY ARE HEALTHY THEY WILL CATCH UP AND DO FINE.... MORE OFTEN THERE'S A REASON THEY ARE SMALLER AND WEAKER AND ULTIMATELY THAT REASON TAKES THE CULL OR NOT CULL DECISION OUT OF YOUR HANDS. HATCH A FEW THOUSAND A YEAR AND KEEP PLACING THE ODD OCCAISIONAL RUNT IN A CAGE IN THE HOUSE AND SEE AFTER 3 OR 4 YRS IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO PUT ONE....OR THE MONEY IN THIS ECONOMY TO FEED AN ANIMAL THAT YOU HAVE NO USE FOR OTHER THAN TO BE NICE TO? THESE TYPES OF DECISIONS ARE DIFFICULT AT BEST AND PERSONAL PREFERENCES. NO MATTER WHAT THE OP CHOOSES I WISH THEM LUCK AND A GOOD OUTCOME.​

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Type bigger, I'm hard of hearing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You could tame it and keep it as a pet.[​IMG]

10. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I had a similar experience with one of my chickens. She grew feathers on her back and wings and then just stopped developing at a few weeks old. Her hatchmates stopped tolerating her and began to attack her when she came near them. We separated her and tried to house her with some bantams, but after a few more weeks the same thing happened. I think that the other chickens could tell that something was wrong with her and flock instinct took over and saw her as a threat. I kept her in a large cage by herself, but her health began to deteriorate quickly from that point and her quality of life became very poor. She was a favorite of my husband's, but none of the treatments we tried made any difference. I eventually culled her myself. I will admit that I cried like a baby when I did it, but I know that it was more merciful than just letting her suffer until she died on her own.

Quail are very social birds, but can be quick to attack anyone they see as weak. It is instinct for many animals to avoid, drive off, or kill other sick animals. It is your bird and you are responsible for its quality of life. Do whatever you think you need to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by