Strange Breathing and/or swallowing issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueJaye, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BlueJaye

BlueJaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    My little 8month old d'uccle is having some strange breathing or swallowing problem. She opens her mouth with every breath. I uploaded a video of it to YouTube. The link is below. Any help or insight would be great. Thank you!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I could mean that she has a respiratory infection, but it could also mean that she's dying... How is she acting?

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    She is acting like herself... maybe a bit quieter, but very clear eyes, as active as usual...
    What can I do about a resp. infection?

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could try antibiotics. Could you make a video of her walking around?

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    It could be wet pox. We've had 3 get it. 2 started out w/ the open mouth breathing. Then they started to stretch out their necks to breath. I took the first one to the vet They put her down, and sent tissue samples off. Came back as wet pox. The 2nd hen to get it had the plague in the mouth, scabs on both eyes, but never the breathing issue. Then the third was just like the first no outward signs at all just the breathing issues. I did nebulizer treatments w/ the oxine, humidifier w/ oxine & tube fed, and died like 3 days later. I'd get her to a vet fast if ones available, and do a search on wet pox there's a lot of helpful info on this site. VACCINATE the rest of your flock. If they're not showing signs you can still vaccinate. It's slow spreading to. It was like 9 or 10 days between the 1st and 2nd bird. You can have it overnighted to you and vaccinate on Friday. Good luck to you and you flock.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @deidreschultz , good advice! Now might be a good time to get a baseline weight and then weigh every few days. Any weight loss is a bad sign.

-Kathy

7. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    What is the name/brand/website to get the vaccination?
    She is on Tylan 50, and seems to be feeling a bit better this morning after being kept still quiet and warm in a room by herself. I don't see anything in her mouth.

8. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I will do that as soon as possible!

9. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    Quote:Sorry it took so long to reply but my third hen just died from it yesterday. I got Chick N Pox and then Poxine for the booster. I have chicks under 6 weeks and they require a booster. I bought them from Jeffers and both vaccines and overnight shipping was just under $40. Not to bad. How's your chicken doing

10. BlueJaye

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    She is hanging on. I can;t tell what it is exactly, but the skin right under her beak near the corners of her mouth are swollen and flakey/look like there's pus or something inside... Then she's got a black spot at the top of her beak where it meets the skin, as well as a bit of black near her nostrils. And she's still gulping for air, but it seems to happen more when I'm holding her, even if she's relaxing on a blanket with me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by