Strange chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 6DouglasPeeps, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 6DouglasPeeps

6DouglasPeeps New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Hi everyone! First post here, but we've benefitted from many of the existing posts. Thanks!

Here's the issue. We have six approximately 5-week-old chicks we got from Tractor Supply. One of the chicks our kids wanted was noticeably the smallest of all of them, even though I suppose they were all close to the same age. It was a red pullet of some kind.

Anyway, within a couple weeks it became obvious that Tiny wasn't growing as well as the others, and I thought it was just a matter of having suffered the effects of being the runt. Then upon closer examination, we saw that its toes curled inward. I researched and thought it might be a riboflavin deficiency, so I separated it from the others and began giving it supplements for a week or so, along with some makeshift shoes. The others never had that problem, were getting much better feathers than Tiny was, as well. When fitting the shoes I noticed it had feathers all the way down to its feet, and then I noticed that one of its feet had an extra toe. After the week was up, I saw that nothing had substantially changed except (marginally) its size and feather condition, probably due to its isolation. Because its feet are so malformed, I still have it isolated to avoid being hen-pecked.

Now the other chicks look like young chickens, and Tiny, at around half the size, looks like a bizarre deformity. Now there is something more identifiable as feathers over her body. But I have no reason to believe there is any suffering (there don't seem to be any neurological effects). Tiny scratches and peeps just like the others. My question: is Tiny a bantam gone somewhat afoul (pun not intended)? Honestly, I'm mostly worried about its feet. Do we need to consider euthanizing him/her/it, or might he/she/it live a somewhat unusual but not miserable life as a pet? I don't want to kill it just because it looks weird. Plus, I have my kids to worry about...

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

Note Tiny's toes:
    [​IMG]

And for comparison, here's the other red we got the same day:
    [​IMG]

I'd appreciate your wisdom! Thanks!

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! You have a frizzle cochin! Anyway... We have one hen that has two toes completely connected and she is very happy. We also have a couple that have that problem, although not to such a degree that yours has. Unless she is seeming to have difficulty living life fully and contently, then I think you should not worry about having to cull her. BTW [​IMG] Have fun on your chicken raising adventure!

3. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aaaawww a Frizzle! I have two Frizzles. They are my favorites but sssshhhh don't tell the others!

Cinnamon & Mumble hanging out
    [​IMG]

4. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh another thing Frizzles can get cold easier then normal feathered chickens but there is nothing wrong with them other then that. [​IMG] Gratz on your Frizzle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by