Strange Chicken Behavior...Is something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CKC Coop, Mar 15, 2015.

1. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    I have an Easter Egg hen who is 6 months old. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks some odd behavior. I can't say for sure though if this behavior is a change from before or if I am just now noticing it as the weather has finally warmed up and I'm spending more time watching my flock. First, my hen just looks old, scraggly around the face and not quick to move. She is easy to pick up and even comes over to me and stands by my legs. When she walks on the roost her wings. Are out and it seems she has a hard time balancing g almost. She is always first to go to roost and since free ranging has started after the snow melted, she hardly comes out of the coop at all. If she does, she hangs outright ear the door. Usually, after the flock is released, she goes over to eat and drink. She will eat scratch and walk around foraging, but she just acts so timid around the others. For good reason though because my older girls and even many of my younger ones will peck at her as they walk by. I don't know if it is just pecking order business (she is obviously lowest on that front) or if they too sense something is strange about her. Noting appears wrong physically with her, she just acts odd. I try to think about how there are peoples the world who are picked on more because they act differently too, but wonder if it is just that or something more. I do not know if she lays eggs or not as we have 42 hens and I haven't separated her yet. The others pecking has not injured her at least, and does not appear to be in pain and does eat and drink...just acts weird. Any advice?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How does feel in your hands weight-wise? Does she feel thin?

3. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    No, she feels right...she does eat well I think. One thing I just thought of though is that her beak is not ever closed. There is always a small gap. Everything about her besides that and that she gets her neck wet when drinking and looks scraggly in the face, appears normal about her physically.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A few possibilities with beak not closing. Upper and lower mandibles not properly aligned. Bird over heating. Bird having trouble breathing. I would test for latter by getting her flap her wings a bit by gentle tossing so she have to flap. If breathing problem you may even see face become bluish.

5. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    Didn't notice her being blue. My latest guess now is that she might be blind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by