Strange Chicken Poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flo12345, Mar 12, 2014.

1. flo12345

flo12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    I have been finding weird loking poo in my run lately... It's really watery and white. Not sure whos poop it is. Should I worry about it? or is this normal? They have been eating a lot of snow lately.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When they drink extra water in the summer to help keep themselves cool, their poop is often more watery, so I would think this could also be due to the snow eating. However, eatign a lot of snow is not good for any animal, so I hope you are managing to have fresh unfrozen water available for them.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Something is irritating the digestive tract. Provide birds some greens or course fiber like from BOSS to get more solids going through. Look carefully at feces for signs of worms. Handle birds on roost to see if any are unusually then. If worms, then treat accordingly.

4. flo12345

Mar 15, 2013
    All my girls are plump and healthy at the moment. No signs of worms as far as I can tell. They all have nice shiny feathers and are very talkative. Thanks for the response! I'll give them some yummy snacks today :)

5. flo12345

Mar 15, 2013
    They have plenty of water they just seem to enjoy eating snow! :)

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Try fresh spinach greens. Then look start looking at feces about 6 hours later.

7. flo12345

Mar 15, 2013
    I'll give them some this afternoon :) They had a plate of oatmeal, yogurt, flax seed, bread crusts, and an egg this morning and I made sure every body got some especially the hen I suspect is having watery poop.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The oatmeal and flaxseed will provide benefit desired. The other stuff is like a Twinky dipped in egg before being fried in transfat. BOSS or even grass is better as they will result in real bulk going through birds plumbing.

9. flo12345

Mar 15, 2013
    The yogurt I give them is just plain yogurt. Not the sugary vanilla or fruit flavored stuff. They love yogurt and it is really good for them as well. Eggs are also good for chickens. I tried the spinach none of them would even touch it.. [​IMG] I've given them left over scraps with salad mixed in and the wont eat it. They must just not like that kind of stuff.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Mine will consume yogurt regardless of brand or sugar content. When they consume large amounts the character of feces changes to be become runnier and smellier. I have not seen anything that directly supports yogurt is good for chickens.

My feeds are dominated by whole grains which they seem to prefer over everything except for insects. Eggs are an excellent protein source but a very inefficient means to provide protein when fed back to birds. Eggs are used here only with sick birds. Try the spinach / watery salad greens when their crops are not full. Also leave in bowl all day long and I predict you will notice it disappears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by