strange chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charlie4444, Apr 11, 2011.

1. charlie4444

charlie4444 New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    hay there everyone,im new to this,so just wana say hello first. my question is i have 2 chickens about 7 mnths old,the last few weeks when i walk past them they move there feet real quick then they duck down in2 the ground,does anyone know y they do that. ive had them since 1 day old & they r very friendly,they let me pat them and they follow me everywhere,but this weird behaviour has got me curious. [​IMG]

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Welcome to BYC and to the chicken world! Sounds like they are hens and this is typical squatting behavior. They are signaling their readiness for mating (if you happen to have a rooster) and should be laying eggs soon if they are not laying already. If you search "squatting" on this site you will find lots of information. Enjoy your fresh eggs!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, that's what it sounds like to me, too. It will happen whether you have a rooster or not. I have a few pets who do this to me whenever I reach towards them, and at the moment I don't have a mature rooster. They are flirting with you!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] They are lookin' for lovin' and will soon start laying eggs. Normal "squatting" behavior.

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have 8 RIRs who started laying about about 6 weeks ago. Now, when I let them out to free range for a while, all 8 start squatting near me! And I get real busy petting & patting!! This is a big change from before they started laying. Then they didn't want me to touch them at all!

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:It means they think you are hot. To them, you are their rooster.

7. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    My Australorp does that to me everytime I open their coop door and every time I go anywhere near her...I always pick her up when she does that!

8. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    That's so funny...I always thought it meant they wanted me to pet them. I never made the connection that is was a mating behavior [​IMG].

9. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I have a little australorp hen who does it every time my boyfriend is by her.... she doesn't do it for me. Apparently he's cuter!

10. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    The old squat and pat. Mine do that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by