Strange Chicks and Sun Light

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by august95, May 14, 2010.

1. august95

august95 New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Hello,

I have a very odd question or not, we are talking chickens right? [​IMG]

We have 6 chicks we picked up last weekend. 4 are Americauna x and approx 8 weeks old.

I have them inside a shed at the moment because they have not been outside yet from what I understand from the seller. They have a light bulb on a timer and know all about light. I am hoping to get them outside this weekend, however:

The last few days have been really bright and sunny around here. The two biggest birds are doing something very odd. Everytime I open the door and they get sun light in the eyes, they get all confused and start trying to stand on top of the other chicks. They then fall over to one side and lay down. They do it every time I open the door and sunlight touches them! This may make it hard to put them outside this weekend to get a little sun.

Anyone ever seen this before?

2. sbrown1414

sbrown1414 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I am very new to chickens. Mine are about 7 weeks old, but I've noticed the same thing. When they were in the brooder, I would let them out and they would fly on top of the lid under the heat lamp and would start laying on their side. When I first put them in the coop, they would lay on their sides whenever they were in the spot where the sun shone through the windows. Then, when they first were let out in the run, they laid on their sides in the sun. Maybe some of the more experienced chicken people can explain what it is they are doing. It kind of freaked me out the first few times they did it.

3. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    From your description they are sunbathing. They lie on one side and lift the upper wing. First time I saw it I thought the chicken was sick. Nope, just enjoying the sunshine.

4. CAChickenNewbee

CAChickenNewbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    El Cajon CA
    I'm glad you posted this question. My first floclk of 6 chix are five weeks old. They had their first field trip outside today and had a blast. They had so much fun hunting and eating earwigs and just scratching around. I let them free run for a few hours (I swear, watching them never gets old...) One of the chicks (Buff Orp) did exactly what you both described, though. She came around the corner of the coop and as soon as she got exposed to the sunlight, she laid down on her side, stuck her legs out and lifted her wing. She stayed there very still for a few minutes, then popped up and started scratching around like the others. It was like she was in a trance. It only happened once and she has been acting normal since.

Is there a chicken expert out there who can explain this?

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Imagine that you went around a corner and saw a beautiful beach with snow white sand and turqoise water. You would lie down and enjoy too!

6. newwithchickens

newwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    ya chicks will do sunbathing (as described) and also take dust baths [​IMG] so dont be surprised when they start throwing dirt on themselfs and such

7. newwithchickens

newwithchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    ya chicks will do sunbathing (as described) and also take dust baths [​IMG] so dont be surprised when they start throwing dirt on themselfs and such

8. august95

august95 New Egg

Feb 2, 2009
    Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

We have 2 year old hens and I never remember them doing this. Maybe I blocked it out lol. I do remember the first dust bath they took though, thought they were dieing.

What a relief to learn they are not off their rockers or sick.

We are having a beautiful day today, think I'll give it a try.

Also, does anyone know at what point it would be safe to put them in with my 2 year olds. The chicks are in the new bigger house so I was thinking that after my hens go to sleep, I would move them into the new house one by one and put them on a roost. I've heard they will all wake up together and forget it wasn't always that way.

Not ready to move them yet but want to get prepared. My 2 Silkie chicks are way to little.

9. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    Quote:I thought this too at first and I freaked out! Only certain of my hens do it and now I'm used to it.

10. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Mine do it too. It's so funny to watch. They really just fall over suddenly and it looks as if they're dead. Then just as quickly, they'll get up and start pecking around.

Silly chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by