Strange comb on Australorp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BYCoop, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    My black Australorp has a strange comb. Right at the tips, there are tiny white spots. Is this something I should worry about?

I'll try to put in pictures when I can.

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If my Black Australorps are getting frost bite, the tips of the comb turn white. Make sure you have your vents open at night and keep the coop clean of poop so there is less moisture in the air. :)

3. BYCoop

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    Does this have any BAD side effects? Will the tips go back to normal?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If they are getting frost bite, yes this can cause bad side effects. Frost bite is painful when it gets to the point it turns black. If you get your ventilation set properly, these white tips will disappear and all will be well with the comb.

If you have any pics of this comb, it will help to make sure this is what is going on. :)

5. BYCoop

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    [​IMG]
    Don't know if you can see it here...

6. Saerie

Saerie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    Yeah, that's frost bite. I have a chicken with a large com like yours that starts getting frost bite all the time in the winter, What I do is rub Vaseline on her comb, it helps insulate and prevent frost bite from starting. Try that.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

Frostbite. As stated above, you can use vaseline or bag balm to help protect and sooth the comb. Make sure you have good venting in your coop to remove the moisture from breathing and pooping. Not only keeps combs from being frost bitten, but keeps the birds drier and warmer.

8. BYCoop

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    So, it's been a while, but I finally got the vaseline on my chick's comb. How long should I wait to either readminister or check for improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by