Strange Comb/Wattle color

Ke11yMack

Songster
Feb 21, 2020
Sisters, OR
The girls are eating drinking and acting normal...we've had a couple of cold nights but they roost in their normal coop spots. I have three adult hens and the two Wyandottes are showing blackening of the comb and wattle, the Ameraucana is fine...one hen looks a bit better, but the other visually (not in action) seems MAYBE a little worse. Mind you...otherwise they are totally acting normal! Thoughts are appreciated ☹️

I do have three chicks but they are not together.

No other chickens in contact...only a dog in the yard with them. Misc wild animals of course as we live in the forest.

One thing we DID have to do is cover some exposed heat pump piping to prevent pecking of the foam. There is no adhesive...and the pipes don't feel cold or hot...but they are copper...
IMG_0442.jpeg IMG_0440.PNG

The girls are eating drinking and acting normal...we've had a couple of cold nights but they roost in their normal coop spots. I have three adult hens and the two Wyandottes are showing blackening of the comb and wattle, the Ameraucana is fine...one hen looks a bit better, but the other visually (not in action) seems MAYBE a little worse. Mind you...otherwise they are totally acting normal! Thoughts are appreciated ☹️

I do have three chicks but they are not together.

No other chickens in contact...only a dog in the yard with them. Misc wild animals of course as we live in the forest.

One thing we DID have to do is cover some exposed heat pump piping to prevent pecking of the foam. There is no adhesive...and the pipes don't feel cold or hot...but they are copper...
View attachment 2854770View attachment 2854769
Scabs on comb/wattles can be a sing of severe dehydration or an injure from other chickens pecking. It could be the dry form of pox, but I wouldn't worry about this if she seems well. Keep an eye on her and see if it resolves on it's own.

My black Ameraucana is molting and acting aggressive and hobit-ish. I'm wondering if it's a scuffle issue in the roost box at night...today the scab is off and it's bloody again. Hmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom