Strange death sick chicken :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blaxy9909, Nov 11, 2014.

1. blaxy9909

blaxy9909 New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    My silver laced wyandotte was very sick this morning when we let the girls out in the yard. She was hunched to the ground and was shutting her eyes like she was tired and laying in the shade while the others were in the sun. I was able to feed her grapes though. Her comb was a pale pink and weak orange color. I checked on them again when they were inside, and she was underneath the coop. She was perfectly fine yesterday too! But she was just laying there and i tried to feed her some bread but wouldn't get up. I finally took a rake and carefully dragged her towards me and i picked her up. She was still alive, but still didn't look good. She was on my lap and i was petting her while someone else called the vet, and she freaked out. There was like a sudden jolt through her body and she sat up and eyes widened, and layed back down. She did this three times, and on the third, her head dropped and I couldnt feel a pulse. Some kind of yellowish liquid came out of her mouth too. The other girls are fine, and there's nothing we know of that could have gotten her sick like that. Please help!

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenCrazay

ChickenCrazay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    im not a pro but it sounds like she was having strokes

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So very sorry to hear of your sad news

A pale comb can be an indicator of a lice/mites infestation...as can a worm infestation...

As a precaution I would treat all of your flock with Sevin Dust or Permethryn for lice mites....and treat all of them with a de-wormer such as Safeguard or Panacur..

Again, I am so very sorry for the sad loss of your chicken

From what you describe in her last few moments..it is normally a part of the dying process...nothing you could have done to save her at that stage...you did all you could.....

Suzie[​IMG]

4. ChickenCrazay

ChickenCrazay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    do you have a rooster? if so did he strip the feathers of her back? if that happened than she could have gotten an infection in her back that she was fighting, but losing. it would have stressed her to much and she broke down... but that's just me.

it happened to my hen chickadee. same thing just no stroak

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    That sounds awful. :( I'm sorry you had to go through that.

From what I know, based on the fact that there was regurgitation after death and spasms during, I feel like the problem may have been some kind of toxin. Herbicides can cause convulsions and regurgitation in geese.

Is there anyway she got into a garden sprayed with chemicals or a treated lawn or barn where these chemicals are kept (maybe not even on your property)?

I hope you discover the cause soon. :(

MrsB

6. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

She could have been sick for a while. Chickens hide their illness until they just can't hide it anymore. Sounds like that is what your chicken was doing. They hide their illness so the flock won't attack them. Sorry you lost your chicken.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you wormed your chickens? Sorry about your hen.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Sorry about your bird. Without having a necropsy done there is no way to know what killed her, anything we come up with here is just a guess and the possibilities are many, could have been almost anything. Spasms and regurgitation of fluids or crop contents are very common at the moment of death. This could have been something that came on quickly or it could have been the end stage of something that's been going on for a while as MrsBachbach said.

9. blaxy9909

blaxy9909 New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    Thank you for replying, do you think this will happen to the others? There are only three girls left and we live in an area with very harsh winters. Do you think they'll be ok with a heat lamp? And I also know this wasnt anything involving old age. We got them in April, so they were 7 months old.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. blaxy9909

blaxy9909 New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    No, she wasn't eating anything strange at all. The strangest thing she ate the night before was possibly some of the banana peel that I had thrown in, but I don't think that's considered a toxin to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by