Strange discolouration on egg shells? Advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jayelle, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jayelle

jayelle New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    Hi everyone!
    I apologise for making my first post a question - but I bet I'm not the first person to join a group like this because they're worried about their hens! [​IMG]
    We have 4 lovely hens, all a different hybrid, and they're all about 18 months old. They are really good layers, and are much loved additions to the family. Recently, we've been getting some funny eggs. They are a bit bumpy, and have discolourations on the one end which start of red-ish in colour, and over a few days, turn more brown. I'm really alarmed, because that's what blood does - and I don't mean a bit of blood on the shell, it's like it's IN the shell somehow. (I do have pictures, but don't seem to be allowed to attach one at the moment)
    I can't find anything on google, and I was hoping someone on here could offer some advice please. The hens themselves all look fine...
    Thanks ever so much!
    Jen

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  2. jayelle

jayelle New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ok, I've figured it out now. I was clicking the wrong button...
    The pale egg on the top with red on is today's. The one underneath with the dirty looking brown mark on it is from last week. I hope the picture gets over what I'm finding hard to explain - it's like the discolouration is in the shell itself somehow...
    Are my girls ok? I'm really worried.
    Thanks for looking.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcometo BYC.
    It looks like a calcium utilization problem, not enough deposited on the shell during its formation. You could try upping the calcium available, oyster shells or feeding back egg shells. Giving them a boost of vitamin D. It is also possible that she was stressed, and time is needed.

4. jayelle

jayelle New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks ever so much for your reply. I'll try giving more oyster shells. How would I give them vitamin D?

5. Dette

Dette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    I would try scrambling up some eggs for them, gives them the benefit we all get from eating the eggs, without tempting them to eat their own.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Crush a pill and mix with feed, You could also get a vitamin pack from a feed store to mix in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by