strange dog like poo??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencity, May 14, 2009.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    yesterday i noticed a really large dog like chicken poo. at 1st glance i thought a dog was in my yard but after a closer look i seen the urrites(sp) on the end. i found some more just like it today. what would cause my hens to have large dog poos? sorry for the descirption..didn't know how ealse to describe it lol.

2. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    If your hens are broody they get up less often. So when they do get up they poo all at once. Usually in huge pieces.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How old is the chicken? Does the chicken eat? Is the poo normal corlored? more info please.

If they eat they poo
    if she is not old enough to be broody that is not applicable
    sounds normal to me...unless it is discolored, loose and runny.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    my hens are one year old. i havent noticed any of them being broody. the poo is colored just like a dog poo. dark brown. i dont haven any roosters. and they are kept in a 1/2 acre lot so they free range during the day.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would not worry about it unless it changes color drastically, becomes loose or they begin acting differently.

They will have a dark poo which is called I believe cecal (sp) that is darker almost like chocolate. That is normal.

6. fetchdog

fetchdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    fayal township, mn
    are you positive it's from the chickens? toads produce giant stools that resemble dog waste. it had me scratchin' my head for quite a while until the kid kept a toad for a few days and it produced the evidence....

7. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    How long have you had chickens? As a hen gets older and she has been in lay for a long time- they get a bit 'stretched' out in that area. The cloaca (where egg and poop empty in to before exiting the body through the same hole- the vent) can hold an egg before release. If the poop is about the size of a large chicken egg, but definitely a chicken poop- then it is probably from one of your hens in lay, and one that has been laying the longest. Some of my older hens lay monster poops- those poops large enough to make wearing boots essential...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by