Strange dryness and damaged feathers w/ little specks

eekosysteme

Hatching
Aug 27, 2020
So, we just introduced 2 new hens to our flock. One a Rhode Island Red and the other a Bantam Silkie. We got them from this guy, and they didn’t look bad. When they met the other chickens, they started acting a bit funky. Sooner or later, the whole flock was sneezing and wheezing and sick! Our black Bantam Rooster almost died! Anyways, we solved the issue and cared for their sickness, it was an upper respiratory issue. Unfortunately, our new Rhode Island Red hen died, as well as our 5 month old grey Bantam hen. Not until recently though have I begun to notice that my chickens skin is dry and has tiny specks and damaged feathers. I will list 3 pictures of 2 Rhode Island Red rooster and hen, and a grey Bantam Brahma. I am very concerned and am not sure what is wrong with them. I don’t think it’s mites or lice. We also regularly rub diatomaceous earth on them and mix it with their food as well. Please someone get back to me ASAP! 😰
4305F101-7B88-4030-9AA1-A98285CF3A1F.jpeg
7C8CAFF1-76F4-4313-846C-E4D3BDA6FC40.jpeg
7DD22B74-BC55-4550-BFC9-6E0C85D85C21.jpeg

So, we just introduced 2 new hens to our flock. One a Rhode Island Red and the other a Bantam Silkie. We got them from this guy, and they didn’t look bad. When they met the other chickens, they started acting a bit funky. Sooner or later, the whole flock was sneezing and wheezing and sick! Our black Bantam Rooster almost died! Anyways, we solved the issue and cared for their sickness, it was an upper respiratory issue. Unfortunately, our new Rhode Island Red hen died, as well as our 5 month old grey Bantam hen. Not until recently though have I begun to notice that my chickens skin is dry and has tiny specks and damaged feathers. I will list 3 pictures of 2 Rhode Island Red rooster and hen, and a grey Bantam Brahma. I am very concerned and am not sure what is wrong with them. I don’t think it’s mites or lice. We also regularly rub diatomaceous earth on them and mix it with their food as well. Please someone get back to me ASAP! 😰View attachment 2309176View attachment 2309177View attachment 2309178
Sorry this is happening to you.

Always, always, always quarantine any new birds for a minimum of 30 days before introducing to your new flock, just keep that in mind for next time! I’d separate the sick birds completely from your flock while you are trying to diagnose what is wrong.

The photos look like the hens are pulling their feathers out, or getting their feathers pulled out, or possibly not growing feathers from a nutrition deficiency. This can possibly be caused by bullying or from parasites that are making them pull their own feathers out or lack of adequate nutrients in their feed (I assume you are feeding them a quality chicken feed).

DE won’t do squat against mites/lice, you have to use Permethrin-10 or poultry permethrin dust. Have you checked their vent areas at night for mites/lice? Those suckers will come out at nice from every little crack or crevice in your coop and suck the life out of your hens.

Sorry this is happening to you.

Always, always, always quarantine any new birds for a minimum of 30 days before introducing to your new flock, just keep that in mind for next time! I’d separate the sick birds completely from your flock while you are trying to diagnose what is wrong.

The photos look like the hens are pulling their feathers out, or getting their feathers pulled out, or possibly not growing feathers from a nutrition deficiency. This can possibly be caused by bullying or from parasites that are making them pull their own feathers out or lack of adequate nutrients in their feed (I assume you are feeding them a quality chicken feed).

DE won’t do squat against mites/lice, you have to use Permethrin-10 or poultry permethrin dust. Have you checked their vent areas at night for mites/lice? Those suckers will come out at nice from every little crack or crevice in your coop and suck the life out of your hens.
Thank you for replying! 👏 Yes, we’ve been feeding them very nutritional feed from Lee’s Feed. We also give them scratch, meal worms, and veggie scraps. So I’m not too worried about their nutrition. I haven’t noticed anything near their vent area at night. I have noticed that their combs have been paler than usual and they’ve been itching and flaking. Where could I find Permethrin-10 or poultry permethrin dust? Do you recommend a brand?

Thank you for replying! 👏 Yes, we’ve been feeding them very nutritional feed from Lee’s Feed. We also give them scratch, meal worms, and veggie scraps. So I’m not too worried about their nutrition. I haven’t noticed anything near their vent area at night. I have noticed that their combs have been paler than usual and they’ve been itching and flaking. Where could I find Permethrin-10 or poultry permethrin dust? Do you recommend a brand?
Mites/lice/parasites are so small, incredibly small, you sometimes can only seem them with a good flashlight and with a magnifying glass.
I use Gordon’s spray (diluted per the package instructions). You can find it at Tractor Supply or Amazon:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz

I also have permethrin poultry dust as well (for colder months when liquids would freeze):
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/y-tex-gardstar-garden-poultry-dust?cm_vc=-10005

Make sure to dilute the liquid permethrin with water according to the package instructions before putting on your birds. If you use straight permethrin liquid, it can burn their skin. If you do have parasites, you will need to completely clean out the coop, burn the bedding, and spray with Permethrin in every single crack and crevice in the coop, mites/lice hide everywhere!!
Hopefully the girls will improve. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom