1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange duck behavior--Is my duck sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoDogFarm, Aug 30, 2014.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    I also posted this in the duck forum, but I also wanted to post this here:

I've noticed some odd behavior from one of my female Khakis for the past few days and I'm worried about her. I've seen her a few times arch her body and push her tail under her. She then proceeds to flap out her wings and put the tips to the ground like she's using them for balance. When she did this today, one of my drakes mounted her, so I wondered if this was some kind of mating behavior, but I've never seen her or any of the other females do this before.

But in addition to this, she seems to be isolating herself from the other ducks. She's usually right there playing and running around with all 15 of my other ducks, but I've seen her several times over the past few days just laying by herself or in a corner with my two Khaki drakes nearby. They seem to be the only ones really near her. Tonight when I went to get the eggs, she was laying in the dog igloo by herself and didn't move. I reached in and she let me pet her which never happens. She usually runs from me. I also noticed tonight that she had a clear liquid coming from one of her eyes to her nose.

I put her in a little cage inside of the big coop for tonight until I can figure out what's wrong with her. Any ideas? This is one of my special ducks and I don't want to lose her.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I responded on the duck forum. In brief, she could be egg bound, have egg yolk peritonitis (a systemic infection), some other kind of infection, or both.

An hour in lukewarm water, deep enough to float in may help if she is egg bound. A vet would be best, and you may need to just get her on antibiotics a.s.a.p. if she is not simply egg bound.

Egg binding can be caused by insufficient calcium. Some ducks just need more. I use calcium gluconate 23% solution for extra supplement.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks. We will check for egg binding. But if it's infection, we have some Duramycin-10 that we bought for another duck problem earlier this year and we ended up not using it. Would this work for her? And I'm guessing she will need to be separated from the others until we get whatever this is under control.

4. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Good news. No egg binding. When we went to check on her a few minutes ago, there was an egg in the cage with her. So, we will start the antibiotics.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The duramycin may be a good choice, I am not expert in these things. @casportpony knows more about it, I think, and though I follow her posts, I defer to her on things like antibiotic choices.

If you don't hear from her, if it were me, I would go with the duramycin till I learned otherwise.

I would also give her a vitamin-probiotic-electrolyte mix twice a week to boost her system and help replenish her gut flora. Anything you can do to boost her immune system and lower stress ought to help both of you.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Was her egg a normal color? Sometimes they can have a stuck egg for many *days* and when laid it will usually be darker. Giving her some calcium like @Amiga , suggested might be a good idea. Of course she should also have access to free choice oyster shell and a feed formulated for laying hens.

Calcium dose I use is ~100mg per 2.2 pounds. One can use tums or calcium gluconate which you can get in the cattle section of Tractor supply.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do not give calcium orally while giving Duramycin 10 as it may bind with the tetracycline. If given orally it should be done two hours before or after antibiotics.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help. The egg she laid the first day seemed to be the same color as the others she's laid. We've been giving her antibiotics now since last Saturday (today will make day 8 and we plan to give them to her another two days). She's been laying eggs regularly and seems to be acting like she feels better.

One thing about this duck still concerns me though (I haven't noticed her doing this since she was a baby, but she's the only duck I've seen do this). The other day, when I went to take care of her, her legs were shaking like she was nervous. The last time I saw her do this was when we first brought her outside with her siblings and put them in a small cage inside of the big coop. Her legs would shake so badly then that the water and food we put inside would shake against the wire on the cage. I always thought it was because she was scared, but maybe it's a sign of something else that I need to be aware of?

Also, in regards to the antibiotics, once she is finished with them, how long will it be until her eggs are safe to eat again? We will have to keep her isolated until then so we can tell her eggs from the others' eggs.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Leg shaking is often a niacin (B3) deficiency.

10. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh. What can I do for that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by