Strange duck behaviour..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Royaly Ducked, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Royaly Ducked

Royaly Ducked Chirping

Aug 21, 2019
    So... We have 4 ducks - Fish and Chips and the newbies Cheese and Quackers.

Fish and Chips are 6 months old and Cheese and Quackers are 3 months old.

Today, my daughter and I were sitting outside enjoying the weather and playing with the ducks. April (my daughter) picked up Chips and set him on her lap. He bit onto her finger, and she laughed, but he had really latched on ... She's got a bit of a finger hickie now.

Anyway, he started stomping his feet immediately, and then gyrating. My 15 year old daughter jumped up out of her chair as soon as she realized she was being humped, releasing her finger with a SNAP from Chips' beak shutting and he landed on the ground. He didn't run.. he just stood there, peering up at her sideways like .. "Would you please sit down so we can continue".

We are a little freaked out. I mean.. a lotta bit, but... These are our first ducks. We have nearly daily gender reveals. Fish has been a girl and then a boy, then he grew sex feathers, then they fell out and now they are back.. Cheese we are 90% sure is a girl.. unless she's a boy.. But we think she might be a gender.. or not.. and Quackers we are pretty sure is a boy, unless he's a girl.. which is entirely possible.

I tried sexing them as chicks - that got me no where, but one duck lovingly shot a stream of poo directly into the open mouth of the Tractor supply lady who was trying to help me sex them.. We don't go there anymore.

So.. Here's my other problem.. If i have 3 boys and a girl I can't keep them. I think they would kill her. I don't know what to do.. they are VERY well loved little boys.

Also - noises - so Fish and Chips quack, low and sometimes they sound like farts. Quackers ... and the irony of this isn't lost on me... Doesn't ever make a noise. Cheese - Sounds like a laughing hyena ALL the time. (Actually she only does it when she can hear me but not see me.. when I'm not home, she's quiet.. or so my husband and housekeeper have said).

Attached Files:

2. Royaly Ducked

Royaly Ducked Chirping

Aug 21, 2019
    And if I have to rehome *ugly cries* Is there a safe and loving way to find good people who are as nuts as I am? Like i know people who want them.. but they just don't have me confident the ducks won't get eaten by predators, or get the love they need.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't have ducks or know anything about them, so I can't help you with the gender issues. As far as rehoming them.... either you give them to people you know really well, knowing how they'll be cared for, or you take your chances. Once those ducks leave your property, they are no longer yours. You've turned over the keys to the bus, and you are no longer the driver.

4. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Ma'm, I dont know a thing about ducks but you are "quacking" me up ! :lau We do have ducky drs. here . and as soon as I remember their names I will tag them .
    @Eggcessive You know I aint gonna remember their names

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really don’t know anything about ducks either, just chickens.

6. Granny Hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Im still looking !

7. blackandtan

blackandtan Songster

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    Ducks can be tough to sex till you’ve seen A LOT of them. Sounds like maybe you’re more attached to the boys, if you do end up 3 males and 1 hen a small bachelor flock might work if you rehome the hen...and it should be easy to find a good place for her because people are always looking for hens...drakes usually end up in someone’s freezer

8. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    “We don’t go there anymore.”
    OMG I’m dying!:lau:gig:lau

9. Granny Hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
  10. Granny Hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Wait, dont ducks have a single tail feather that curls up backwards if they are males ? The pekins do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: