Strange duck egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HenHoarder, Apr 21, 2016.

1. HenHoarder

HenHoarder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    [​IMG]

All of my ladies have been laying for months.. And this strange green speckled egg appeared today.

Any ideas?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    what breeds of ducks do you have?

3. FussyHen

FussyHen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Can the spots be scratched off?

4. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    Almost everything except runners!

Cayuga, khaki, welsh, Rouen, pekin, & Swedish.

They're all almost a year now and this is the first time I've seen anything like it. It was just in one of the three community nests they all share. I thought it was poop or something at first but it didn't wash off.

5. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    could be the cayuga, I know they start out really dark and then lighten as the season progresses i know they eventually go to a creamy white but isn't there a greenish shade before that, so could it be like the egg just kind of got caught between color changes, I have a RIR hen that lays a brownish pinkish egg but always puts white calcium spots on her eggs.

6. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    Maybe.. I got three or four medium/light grey eggs out of her when she first started laying, but they've all been indistinguishable from the others for a month or more now. Maybe she's trying to get back on the color wheel.

7. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    I'm a new duck keeper and I'm new to laying.

My first Cayuga laid an egg that had the black coating but in some places the bloom was laid on more heavily than others.. so the egg was dark gray/black with some super dark black spots all over it. It was one of her very first eggs and she only did it once.

The only time any of my hens have started laying black eggs again after laying normal "fading" bloom eggs was after a traumatic event happened. This particular hen took 3 days off from al;yiing after the event and her first egg back had a very black coating on it.

Could it be from something in their diet-- acorns, or spirulina or kelp? My girls get beets daily and if someone really indulges in them their egg shells have a pinker tinge than normal. But the calcium spots on the shells are white.

8. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    They haven't gotten anything new diet wise... unless somebody found a new foraging spot with something delicious. They have about a 1/4-1/2 acre roped off where they wander about, so it's possible they could have found a fresh supply of acorns or different roughage they liked.

9. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by