Strange Duck...?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by minifarmkat, Oct 15, 2013.

1. minifarmkat

minifarmkat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think your crested is a girl, and she is a fan-girl of the gander. She finds him attractive, and really likes him.

Awwwww.

3. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    awe that's cute. we were debating between that and maybe a dominance issue?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what I have seen in my flock, duck social behavior is nuanced and sophisticated sometimes. Yes, sometimes it's pretty straightforward, but what she is doing can have a few different meanings from what I see.

It's a fan-girl behavior, it's almost a taunt, it's a flirt. I do not see it when someone is trying to prove they are in charge of another one. That looks different, involves more poking, head-down, mouth open short-distance chasing.

I appear to be prone to hyphens this evening. Hmmmm.

1 person likes this.
  5. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    Well thanks as long as it's not some weird tick. Everything's alright [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I thought it was precious, she is really interested in that gander.. [​IMG]

7. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    She sure is! Everyday she "dances" with him, and she gets jealous when he tries to court his two lovely goose ladies. [​IMG]
    Today they were having a fit in the pond. She was flirting with him and he was trying to get away from her. Then--out of nowhere--all of the ducks and geese start diving underwater and squawking. Loudest commotion yet! LOL.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have any drakes? and of course with her being crested she may have a couple of lose screws[ so to speak] and has this unusual fascination with this gander.

9. minifarmkat

Mar 25, 2013
    North Carolina
    We thought we had a drake, but the hatchery miss-sexed her. So as of right now that gander is the only male for all of our waterfowl (2 female geese, and 6 female ducks).

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well no wonder she is attracted to him, she's ready to mate. My Embden gander was hatched by a Muscovy duck and raised with them the first 6 years of his life he never knew there were geese until this past Aug a year ago I brought home a goose for him. Saying this to let you know this is perfectly normal behavior she is looking for a male to fertilize her eggs, Another thing you may want to watch out for, he may mate with your ducks, My gander did but Muscovy's are larger than most female ducks. Not sure how that would work for your Runner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by