Strange duck!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CAMOCLUCKS, Aug 28, 2008.

1. CAMOCLUCKS

CAMOCLUCKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    St. Elmo, Illinois
    We have a duck who is 1 1/2 years old, who was raised with ducks, but wants to be a chicken. If you take her to the pond she will beat you back to the chicken house. Our problem is that she makes a muddy mess of the chickens waterer. HELP What should we do?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    LOL if that was me, i'd just lock her out of the chicken coop, and she'll get the picture eventually..obviously if she's making the chickens water nasty she is still being duck like so theres hope [​IMG].

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I feel your pain! I have just created the same little monster out of a call duck, she is having an identity crisis, and thinks I'm trying to kill her when I try to leave her in the in the duck area now that she's grown up??
    Locking them out seems cruel, but I guess you have to practice tough love. My husband has suggested that I pen her up in the duck yard in a separate pen (we have a large dog house with three rooms that we can put a covered wire "yard" or "coop" on, and make her stay there til she becomes a duck.
    Maybe you can put your duck in a cage, crate, or make a "coop" in the duck area until it gets used to being a duck too?
    This is when she was a chick
    [​IMG]

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha hey you're not helping matters with her "this was when she was a chick"....err you mean duckling right [​IMG] [​IMG] soo just pickin! LOL!

5. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

See, she has me convinced too! Oh man, what am I gonna do? [​IMG]

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my goose thinks that she is a dry land bird, and will bite the crap out of anyone who tries to put her in water. We have a nice pond, as well as a little dammed stream through our yard, like a little pool, perfect for ducks or a goose, and she refuses to go in it. She'll drink and put her head under water in a kiddie pool, but bigger water than that makes her super angry. silly goose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by