Strange egg behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morndew247, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Morndew247

Morndew247 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    Hi, I'm hoping someone knows what this is, as I haven't been able to find any posts on it.
    We have a stack of eggs in our fridge. They are all less than 8 days old, unwashed, but we have no cartons for them, so they sit in a padded bowl on the top shelf.
    Well yesterday one of the eggs was covered in tiny little dots of moisture bleeding out of every pore like condensation. It was tinged slightly in color, sticky, with no smell.
    it really looked like when you make a lemon meringue pie and the meringue gets beads of moisture from the pie.
    I left it in the frigde (to show my husband later) and by then some of the beads had gotten bigger, and the bottom of the egg was wet.
    Any ideas? All the other eggs are acting like...regular eggs. Just sitting around, doing egg stuff, no problms or anything. This one has to have issues.
    I should have taken a pic.
    Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    Christine [​IMG]

2. lewee

lewee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    was a nutrient defficiant egg, they are rare, the calcium didnt form properly, thus allowing moisture to come thru the shell

3. Morndew247

Morndew247 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Upstate NY
    My Coop
    Thank you [​IMG]

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by