Strange egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by astarr2, Sep 10, 2016.

1. astarr2

astarr2 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    We have a small flock of three hens. So far, our ISA brown is the only one laying (we also have a Plymouth Rock and a Maran/possibly a Legbar mix). We were normally getting nice brown eggs from the ISA when suddenly we got these strange bluish eggs. I suspected they might be from our mystery chicken that kind of looks like a Legbar, but ever since the first bluish egg showed up, we haven't seen any more brown eggs. I don't think the ISA would just all of the sudden stop laying. Any ideas on what's going on? I attached a photo for reference: [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It is possible that the ISA Brown stopped. New layers are erratic, and often lay in starts and stops. Since it's not just the color, but also the shape that is different, you have another layer.
    How much space do they have? What are you feeding? Treats?

3. astarr2

astarr2 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    They all lay, or are at least supposed to lay in the same box. They get egg layer feed pellets to eat, and we give them treats from time to time from table scraps (mostly fruits and veggies). They also enjoy eating our sweet potato vines that we ha e around the house. They run around our suburban backyard and sleep in a 5x5 coop

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Might not be getting enough protein. Layer feed is designed to be the only thing eaten. It has just barely enough protein in it to support laying. Free ranging and treats dilutes that protein content to the point where birds just don't have enough protein to produce eggs. Remember egg whites are almost entirely protein, and that has to come from somewhere.

5. astarr2

astarr2 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks for your input!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long are we talking the ISA has not been laying?

7. astarr2

astarr2 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Last laid maybe 5 or 6 days ago

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range?
    ISA might be laying out in range area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by