Strange egg is my girl ok

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zafina, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Zafina

Zafina Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This egg is what my girl laid today and I'm a little concerned. she hasn't laid for about two weeks and this is the first since then. She does a lot of watery poohs but all her eggs have been the malt chocolate colour till this one. She don't have mites and can't see any worms in her poop. She seems ok in herself. Any advice please.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I don't know completely, but since you have said that she has had a break she might just be getting the production line back on track, when my hens come back into lay after brooding/ moulting their first few eggs are unusual compared to their 'normal' eggs. Does she have free access to grit? and whats her feeds protein and calcium rate like? an added boost of some meat scraps/ some soft/grated cheese might be a good idea

3. Zafina

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    She is corn feed can't seem to get them on pellets they came from the farm on corn :(when I tried to change it they would not eat. Yes they have access to grit and shell all the time and I often give them meal worms and meat scraps to supplement there food:(

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you free range your chickens? If not and all you are feeding her is corn she is not getting the nutrition she needs. Corn should only be fed as a treat. Less than 10% of her diet.

5. Zafina

Feb 2, 2014
    Edinburgh Scotland
    2 of them share the back garden 30 foot square

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Healthy layers require laying pellets if you want them to lay and stay healthy. They will not starve themself, put the pellets In front of them. They will start eating them. Just remember corn is a treat.......

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ditto ^^^^

Have a look here for more on egg quality and problems: Common egg quality problems - BackYard Chickens Community

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by