Strange egg-laying behaviours - normal at first?

Nummie

Hatching
Jul 19, 2018
Three days ago, we got ourselves our first eggs! We have 4 golden comets and two EEs. 4 eggs were all there in the morning (1 in each of the 2 nesting boxes, two inside the coop area) and one more was later laid in the afternoon. The next day, one egg. Next day, no eggs. No biggy. Today, we only got 1 egg. We made a new nesting box that would go underneath their coop (suspended off ground) and also put an egg-shaped brown rock on top of the shavings. Yet, we still have not consistent laying.

Is this normal for younger pullets? They have also started exploring far further from their coop into the woods and food plot for deer. Is this a "safe-spot scavenger hunt," or is this just a sign of maturity? Is it more likely they are laying eggs in a place we are unaware of, or that they are just going through a normal, awkward period?

Thanks!

It can take months for pullets to get into an egg laying routine. I would not fret. Plus not every chicken is going to lay every day or consistently. If you think they are laying eggs somewhere else I would keep them locked up in the mornings until you think they are done laying and then let them out. I let mine out usually around noon when I am home because by then most have already laid.

Three days ago, we got ourselves our first eggs! We have 4 golden comets and two EEs. 4 eggs were all there in the morning (1 in each of the 2 nesting boxes, two inside the coop area) and one more was later laid in the afternoon. The next day, one egg. Next day, no eggs. No biggy. Today, we only got 1 egg. We made a new nesting box that would go underneath their coop (suspended off ground) and also put an egg-shaped brown rock on top of the shavings. Yet, we still have not consistent laying.

Is this normal for younger pullets? They have also started exploring far further from their coop into the woods and food plot for deer. Is this a "safe-spot scavenger hunt," or is this just a sign of maturity? Is it more likely they are laying eggs in a place we are unaware of, or that they are just going through a normal, awkward period?

Thanks!
Definitely check the bushes and under plants, in clumps of grass and anywhere you think a chicken might go that they have access to.

Mine have developed the knack for laying eggs in obscure places this they are locked in their run until they lay them I let them out to free range.

Welcome to BYC! It is completely normal for new layers to skip days. Some may wait a week or more to resume. And as post#2 says, most chickens don't lay consistently every day.

Welcome to BYC!
Is it more likely they are laying eggs in a place we are unaware of, or that they are just going through a normal, awkward period?
Could be either... or both.
You might want to confine the birds to coop and run until they are well established in using the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it...at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

We made a new nesting box that would go underneath their coop (suspended off ground) and also put an egg-shaped brown rock on top of the shavings. Yet, we still have not consistent laying.
Any 'new thing' in their territory can throw them off. Chickens don't like change. Not sure you need a 3rd nest for 6 birds but it would be best if it was near the other 2 nests.

Back
Top Bottom