strange egg sizes from new layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msroser, Aug 24, 2014.

1. msroser

msroser New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Berkeley, CA
    Greetings,

We adopted three just-feathered chicks this spring and they finally started laying about 3 weeks ago. They are one Buff Orpington and two black/white Rocks.

Buffy the Orpington is laying huge double-yolked eggs every time. While entertaining to us, I read on the forum that this might be a sign of over feeding.

However, her Rock sisters, Betsy and Feathers, are laying tiny mini-eggs. When you fry one, it is the size of an english muffin half, which is convenient for eating on english muffins but..... when I looked tiny eggs up on the forum, some suggest that this is a sign of UNDER feeding.

Buffy is not the dominant hen, Betsy is (she's a mean little cuss) so it's not a matter of Buffy eating more than her share.

Do you suppose these are just growing pains and all will sort out, or do I have anything to be concerned about?

My former champion layer Belle, a sex linked red, only laid for two seasons and is now retired. Betsy and the other new girls pick on her so she has her own "condo" now. :) I suppose I'm worried that if Buffy keeps laying double yolked eggs, she'll wear herself out too soon.

Suggestions welcome!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    New layers often lay smaller eggs, though this is not always true (as you're finding out with Buffy). In time, your other birds should start laying larger eggs gradually.

3. msroser

msroser New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Berkeley, CA
    Thank you!

I figured out how to post a photo - here are two of Buffy's double-yolked eggs this morning. My daughter asked for two eggs - is this two or four? :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by