Strange Egg Song...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DoveStar, Jan 6, 2015.

1. DoveStar

DoveStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    I have four chickens who are all just barely four months old. One of them, my EE, was completely fine this morning, and then when I went out there this afternoon she was making a strange noise. She is eating, drinking, and acting 100% normal except for this noise that she has been repeating the entire afternoon. And the other three chickens arent doing this... What is this??

Any help is very much appreciated! :)

thanks, Amber

2. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    how do I attach a video?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's an icon at the top of the reply box......looks like film strip hover cursor over it and it says insert video.

or just paste a youtube link.

4. DoveStar

Apr 13, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Thanks aart :)

[​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a strange one! Not sure I've heard that before...I wouldn't worry about it unless she is showing other signs of illness or distress.
    They can make some weird sounds when they transition from chick peeping to pullet clucking...she's probably just checking out her new voice.

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'm not 100% positive, but it sounds like a wheeze to me.

Any chance she could have a respiratory infection?

I only ask because I had a girl who sounded quite similar to this a week ago, and when I took her to the vet he diagnosed her with a respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd separate her form the flock for a bit and observe her for other signs such as sneezing, or watery eyes and nostrils.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by