1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

strange egg than yolk....more?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady Lakenvelder, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Lady Lakenvelder

Lady Lakenvelder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    My little Lakenvelder was acting strange this morning. She had her tail bent down, wouln't eat and was hiding. I thought she was about to lay. I checked on her a half hour later to find she was in the nest box, standing up and laying a Rubber shelled egg. I took the egg. A half hour later I go back out to the coop to find she layed a yolk. I cleaned it up. It has been an hour since her "yolk egg" was layed but she keeps going back in the nest box and acts like she's going to lay again. I gave her some rasberries yesterday does that have anything to do with it?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How old is she? Is she a new layer? If so, how many eggs has she laid thus far?

3. Lady Lakenvelder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    She's about five months old. This is her first egg.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Just sounds like some serious instincts kicking in here.

Make sure she's got oyster shells for the calcium. That's the reason for the rubber egg.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If it's her very first egg, don't worry about it. I'm sure it's just her egg-laying gear getting calibrated. She's on free-choice layer feed, and has oyster shell available, I assume?

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 2 first time layer do this for a couple days. Then all the plumming started to work right.

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got an adult hen that's about 18 months old that lays a soft-shelled egg maybe once every 4 moths or so. I don't know why, and it really worried me the first few times she did it. But, I've realized that she's just fine, it's just how she is.

8. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    No worries... takes a while to get it right. If it's her first, she'll get it in time... Now and then I still find them and mine have been laying since the end of August. [​IMG]

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Sounds like a new layer to me! She'll be fine. Oyster shells will strengthen those eggs up.

10. Lady Lakenvelder

Jul 17, 2008
    Imlay city, michigan
    Update: I've been checking on her all day and I don't think she's eaten. She is all puffed up and is laying on the floor now. She should be on the roost for bedtime. Is it possible that the yolk she layed(found broken) was a whole egg? Could she have had a rubber egg then broke a hard shelled one inside of her? Am I worring for nothing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by