Strange Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gammond, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    Found this egg this morning.. I'm assuming it's from one of my 20 week Isa browns. It's dented in and not formed properly. Is this normal for pullets? It was covered in a sticky mess but doesn't seem to be leaking.

I'm also finding an egg without a shell every few days. Yolk and all, just no shell.
    [​IMG]

2. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    [​IMG]

3. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego

It's normal to have irregular, oddly shaped and poorly developed eggs when pullets first start to lay. Plus we're getting into winter which makes for shorter days and less eggs... They'll firm up and get to be the eggs you were hoping for by the spring.

Just as a matter of housekeeping though, what are you feeding them and what kind of calcium are you providing?

4. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    Free feed 19% protein flock raiser with oyster shell available all the time. Plus grain and barley and whatever else they get being free range.

5. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    That's all the right stuff! It seem like a normal new-layer thing. Their bodies should get the hang of it soon and if you're still getting soft or no-shelled eggs regularly in a couple months than look into their calcium consumption. If they're ALL laying, you might consider switching them to layer feed.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could just be new layer funkiness....the sticky mess you find is the probably remains of a soft shell egg being mostly eaten.
    The egg that was "Yolk and all, just no shell." ..was egg contents in a softish membrane?

7. lizenloe

lizenloe New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

This is one of my Ladies' 3rd eggs. The first, was small but shell was fine. The second had a hole similar to this, her third egg. Is she, or one of the other ladies, pecking her egg? She isn't one of my original ladies. I've had her and her bestie for about 5 months.

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    It looks like not enough bedding in the nest. The pointy end comes out first and hits the floor of the nest box. GC

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually the large end comes out first.
    Egg Formation Video

10. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Google. Chicken laying eggs. Click on on YouTube video. Chicken laying an egg. Pointy end hits floor of nest box. GC

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by