Strange egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rennyback, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Rennyback

Rennyback New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    I found this egg last week. Found it hilariously shaped. But when I opened it, this is what was inside. The closest I thought was a lash egg, but lash eggs don't have a shell. I searched forums and googled it.
    Any ideas? Haven't found another "weird" one since and none of my hens are ill or acting funny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]! While I have seen some strange eggs (including from my own flock), that is a really weird one. [​IMG]

My guess is that it's just an "oops" (anomaly) by one of your hens. Probably not a concern unless you see a pattern; if you do, it could indicate a reproductive problem.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Really weird indeed!

Did you dissect the contents further?
    Was that 'lump' solid or.....??

A 'lash egg' is a lump of solidified puss from an infection in the reproductive tract....they are usually not inside a shell, but can be.

4. Rennyback

Rennyback New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    I did dissect it. It seemed like what you find in a crop or gizzard. Or was like grits. Ew I know... it wasn't solid by any means. Like when a potato has been baked with the skin on and can be smashed easily. That's all I can tell ya. I didn't take a pic of the contents once I mashed it. Made me not want to eat eggs for a little bit.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could have been a lash...time will tell.
    Any idea which bird and/or how old bird is?

Yeah, gross eggs get me breaking each, one at time, in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe for quite awhile.

6. Rennyback

Rennyback New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    I have no idea which bird. They all lay together. But like I said, nothing strange for a week or two. No bird are acting ill. This was hopefully a one-time thing. If we get another, we will watch more closely. We do have a camera in the coop but unless I'm home to get each egg when it is laid, I won't know which bird it is. We have 9 nesting boxes and sometimes they will divide and conquer and sometimes they only want one box so it doesn't narrow down which bird laid which egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by