Strange Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silvrebelle, Jan 29, 2011.

1. silvrebelle

silvrebelle New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    N W Florida
    Good morning! The "newbie" has another question...I have a red and black sex link and one of them occasionally lays an egg that has ripples in the egg shell. Was wondering if anyone could give me causes? The eat laying pellets so I wouldn't think it's nutrition based but don't really know. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I agree with that first response. Check out that site. Another thing... are you making sure your hen(s) is/are getting enough calcium? Are you feeding her/them oyster shells? They lose a lot of nutrients during egg production, especially calcium. And they need extra protein in their diet during molting. I give my birds stuff all the time. I leave a two sided dish out that contains their grits and oyster shells, then I take them something special once per day: cracked corn, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, strawberries, etc. (They say spoiled hens lay better/more. And I believe it. My leghorn should be giving us 3/wk but gives us 4-5. And our white rock is only supposed to give I think 4... and gives us 6. Plus they are VERY happy birds. lol)

4. silvrebelle

silvrebelle New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    N W Florida
    Thank you...I'll check it out!

5. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Welcome both silvrebelle and dmelton to BYC from BC, Canada.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by