Strange egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Belinda Swim, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Belinda Swim

Belinda Swim Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm not sure if the pic uploaded, if it did this is what I found in my coop this morning. Has anyone else had an egg that loked like this? We are ust learning as we go, this is our egg #8
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    i've never had one look like that. is this one of your established hens laying it or one just starting out?

3. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm not sure. We had bought 6 hens on 11/26/12 and then added a Roo and a hen last Saturday. The new hen hadn't layed yet. Maybe this was her first egg. It wasn't in the nesting box.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There isn't a definite explanation for this, but it's believed to be caused by a soft shell egg that "got stuck" on the way out, see here:

http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html

It could be that your hen is still working out the kinks in her reproductive system. I wouldn't worry unless it happens again. Make sure she has plenty good quality layer mash/pellets for her calcium needs and no stress, as that can influence egg laying and cause weird eggs as well. One of my hens dropped an egg that looked kinda similar to the one in your pic after getting a big fright.

5. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thank you. That does make sense.

6. That is one strange egg! Looks like the curly string is leaking yolk....?

7. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes it is

8. Belinda Swim

Dec 2, 2012
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    [​IMG]. Another strange egg.

9. SheilaV

SheilaV Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I found another strange egg yesterday. What I cannot understand is how it could be so cleanly and evenly chopped off. There is a film over the open end. When I found it last night, the immediate edges were soft, but the rest of the shell was hard, as usual. I've had a number of "shell-less" eggs (very soft shell) since they started laying a few months ago, but they've been intact except for the ones stepped on or in one case dropped from a perch (?!). I have 8 Light Brahma hens, one rooster, and one turkey (tom). I get an average of 6 to 7 eggs a day. Double yolks are not uncommon, but this qualifies as just strange.
    [​IMG]

10. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! When our hens first started laying, (they took me by surprise and I hadn't added any oyster shells or even layer feed yet) she laid a few eggs and then must have run out of calcium. As soon as I got her the layer feed and put out free choice oyster shells, they went back to normal. On a side note, when I put out the oyster shells, she ran over and ate a lot of them! Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by